Wago PLC & AB ArmotPoint I/O, Is It Possible?

cipendjr

I am attempting to control AB ArmorPoint I/O (Ethernet/ IP) with a Wago 750-880 controller. If possible, how can it be done and is it relatively easy? I have zero experience with Wago and it's CoDeSys software. :confused:

It's not going to be easy.

POINT works very well with ControlLogix because the RSLogix 5000 software turns the selection of assembly numbers and connection details and configuration data into a simple GUI-driven process. All the details are hidden from the user.

A 'rack-optimized' assembly of discrete I/O modules would be the easiest implementation.

Analog modules are going to need their own connections.

RA obviously doesn't have a lot of interest in making it easy to use POINT with third party controllers, and Wago doesn't have a lot of interest in making it easy to use somebody else's I/O, so if you try to combine them you're sort of stuck in the middle.

Is this something you've already bought and need to integrate, or are you at the planning stage of your design ?

Don't go forward with this. It will simply be an exercise in stupidity and the machine will be a nightmare to maintain and troubleshoot.

Choose one vendor or the other and go with it. There are on machine IO options from non AB vendors that will work with AB plc's and other PLC brands but POINT IO simply is not one of them in this case as it is an AB product and as Ken said it provides them no value to make it work with everyone else's PLC over ethernet.

I like what I'm reading, my preference would be to go with one brand, preferably AB. Unfortunately that is not the direction I'm being pointed in.

Tell the person doing the pointing that if they must have this solution then they must help you make it work because you don't know how and there are no resources to help you.