Backlight Adjustment on RedLion HMI

kay_gsr13

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there a way to adjust the brightness of the RedLion G-series HMI? I just purchased a G308C1 and it's very dim compared to my G306A & G315C.

There is a system variable called DispBrightness that you can set. 0=off, 100=full brightness.

But I believe the units all default to 100 unless changed by the user.

Is there a way to adjust the brightness of the RedLion G-series HMI? I just purchased a G308C1 and it's very dim compared to my G306A & G315C.

The issue is that the G308C1 is much less bright than others you listed. I have found this with other vendor's 8" displays too.

The G308C1 has a brightness of 112 cd/m2, whereas the G315C is 600 cd/m2. Even the G308A2 is 450 cd/m2.

There really won't be anything you can do to make the G308C1 as bright as you would like.

Thanks kolyur and JHarbin. Jeremy Howell just replied to my email and suggested using the "DispBrightness" variable as well. Kolyur you are correct that it is default @ 100%. JHarbin is the G310 the same way?

From reading Tech Note: TNO102 (Title: Backlight Failure)

Previous version of the G308 and G310 has an issue with

"Backlight intensity grows dimmer in HMI units with Graphical Interface." How can one tell if they got on of those older units? My original firmware was Boot V71 and is now updated to Boot V77.

Thank you Kolyur, JHarbin, and Jeremy for the prompt response.

Last edited:
Thanks kolyur and JHarbin. Jeremy Howell just replied to my email and suggested using the "DispBrightness" variable as well. Kolyur you are correct that it is default @ 100%. JHarbin is the G310 the same way?

From reading Tech Note: TNO102 (Title: Backlight Failure)

Previous version of the G308 and G310 has an issue with

"Backlight intensity grows dimmer in HMI units with Graphical Interface." How can one tell if they got on of those older units? My original firmware was Boot V71 and is now updated to Boot V77.

Thank you Kolyur, JHarbin, and Jeremy for the prompt response.

If you just purchased it, you didn't get an older one.

Again, the problem with the G308 is that it has a lower brightness (112 cd/m2). NOTHING you do will make it as bright as the G310 or G315. It's brightness value is 1/5 that of the G315.

I don't use the G308 or any other HMI even from other companies that use this technology.

Unfortunately as I mentioned in my email and what JHarbin has stated the displays you are comparing have different displays and backlights. The G308C will always be more dim than the G306A, or G308A. The brightness of each display is listed in the specifications for you comparison.

Thanks
Jeremy