RSLogix5000 export of array

controlconcepts

Lifetime Supporting Member
RSLogix5000 V16 I can export tags but if I have an array it only shows the ND_3_RE_SL_1_PB_SW_STATION INT[2] in the exported file.
when the array has essentially 32 bits/tags that I want to edit the description's of with copy and paste from another excel exported file.
Thanks,
Matt

If the array sub-elements have descriptions associated with them, those descriptions will show up in the tag export as COMMENT entries. If there are no descriptions, there are no COMMENT entries, but you could add them yourself.

An example:

Code:
TAG,,Integer_Array,"DINT Array of 2 elements","DINT[2]","","(RADIX := Decimal)"
COMMENT,,Integer_Array,"DINT Element Zero",,"Integer_Array[0]"
COMMENT,,Integer_Array,"DINT Element One",,"Integer_Array[1]"
COMMENT,,Integer_Array,"DINT Element One$NBit Zero",,"Integer_Array[1].0"
COMMENT,,Integer_Array,"DINT Element One,$NBit One",,"Integer_Array[1].1"
COMMENT,,Integer_Array,"DINT Element One$NBit 2",,"Integer_Array[1].2"

The Tag definition has only the tag's name, datatype, and size.

The Comment definitions are included only for the elements that already have description text. I have descriptions of the DINT[2] tag itself, for each DINT sub-element, and for three bits of the second DINT.

Tag import/export changed a lot in RSLogix 5000 v17, when XML import/export was introduced to RSLogix 5000. In v16, you just have the basic CSV and TXT format tools.

It's done by default....You'll see the base Tag, and then below it you'll see a COMMENT line for each element of the base tag. To see that, create a DINT tag and comment DINT.0. Then export and you'll see an Entry for TAG and below it an entry of COMMENT that will have the bit reference. You can then just insert/cut/paste the rest of the COMMENTs for 1 to 31 and import it back.

If you just have the DINT tag without a single .bit commented you wont' get anything with the export, although if you know the syntax, you could create it. But I usually create one to get the syntax, and just cut/paste.

EDIT: Ken beat me by a second :)

But I usually create one to get the syntax, and just cut/paste.

That is exactly what I do as well.

You can cut out all the tag information from an Export file and just have a big list of COMMENT entries, then Import that to make bulk changes to your descriptions.

Got it to work Thanks

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST. took a little time for me to get the format. Made it work and am very happy!! 🍺

Here is what the excel file looks like if others need reference.

RS5000 EXPORT.jpg