AB & Red Lion Project

dginbuffalo

Hello all- I have a project coming up where we will be updating the controls on 4 machines that are spread throughout a plant and will need to communicate with each other. I plan on using a AB Compactlogix and Red Lion G310 on each machine. I will most likely make each HMI identical with windows for each machine in case you are in another part of the plant and want to look at one of the other 3 machines. Communication will across Ethernet. Are there any issues I should be worried about with 4 HMI's on the network all communicating with the PLC's? Thanks in advance.

No issues besides the typical issues such as what else will be on the network and what is the distance between the machines?

Distance is less than 500'. I 'believe" the only things on the network will be these machines and HMI's. That's a good question though. I may isolate the control side on a separate network.

The distance is going to need to be addresses. Standard copper is only good for 100 meters. So you are going to have to plan some fiber or some additional Ethernet switches to act as repeaters.

I like an isolated network but it is getting tougher to do. I would at least do a VLAN to isolate traffic

Cat.5/6 Ethernet copper media runs are limited to 300' (100 meters); you might want to use a "star" topology where the Ethernet switch is "centrally" located; segregating the HMI LAN from any other networks is a very good approach.
I'd be careful if using any I/O Class communications (Implicit) over the same subnet though; you will most likely have to use Managed Switching (IGMP Snooping Enabled)in order to mitigate the HMI applications' Broadcast communications connectivity.

hi guys, sorry to jump into this thread but not only do i zero expierence with plc's but i also cant figure out how to start my own thread here lol
Anyway im using a micrologix1100 with expansion module. im using an ultrasonic transmeter to tell me the fluid level in a tank and depending on that have numerous pumps turn. using scp, leq and geq i have all that working.
My problem is that my boss also wants the tank level in gallons displayed on a little led read out. i have a redlion cub5p proccess meter. i tried just putting it in the sries loop with the plc and transmeter but no luck then i used a copy command to and output to run that way but not luck. am i doing something wrong is it just the wrong type of read out?

I had issues with a past project with a Compactlogix L33 processor and a Red Lion G308 HMI. The issue was that the G308 wouldn't read the Alias Tags properly. I had to internally map my tags to the I/O. As far as I know this hasn't been corrected yet. Keep that in mind as you go forward with the project.

I had issues with a past project with a Compactlogix L33 processor and a Red Lion G308 HMI. The issue was that the G308 wouldn't read the Alias Tags properly. I had to internally map my tags to the I/O. As far as I know this hasn't been corrected yet. Keep that in mind as you go forward with the project.

This issue involves mapping to embedded or remote IO. Expansion IO alias works just fine. We are working to correct the other two.

Thanks for the info Bullzi. What happen to the Red Lion folk who would always pipe up when you mentioned their product?

We do continue to support the forum but with the holidays and our recent bad weather we have been a little short staffed. If you would like a faster answer from us feel free to email us at [email protected] or give us a call (717) 767 6511

Thanks
Jeremy

The issue I had was with the 1769 I/O. The L33 had 9 1769 I/O modules connected directly to the processor. Is that considered Embedded, Remote or Expansion I/O?

I was able to repeat the error using a L18 that has Embedded I/O so that makes sense.

The issue I had was with the 1769 I/O. The L33 had 9 1769 I/O modules connected directly to the processor. Is that considered Embedded, Remote or Expansion I/O?

I was able to repeat the error using a L18 that has Embedded I/O so that makes sense.

That would be expansion I/O which we have tested as working on an L32 and an L30ER. Can you send your file for testing?

The embedded IO on your L18 is currently being worked on.

Thanks
Jeremy