AutomationDirect Push Buttons/Selectors

Anybody use these? I'm attracted to them because they are much, much lower cost than A-B operators. Basically I'm wondering if the Automation Direct buttons are a "you get what you pay for" situation or if A-B operators are a "you pay for the name" situation.

Anybody use these? I'm attracted to them because they are much, much lower cost than A-B operators. Basically I'm wondering if the Automation Direct buttons are a "you get what you pay for" situation or if A-B operators are a "you pay for the name" situation.

In my experience, The automation direct buttons are much less robust than the AB buttons. We used them on a build some years back and the broke pretty quickly. I have moved away from AB on a lot of things, but the buttons are bulletproof.

One thing to keep in mind, you can usually find some good deals on ebay if you are looking to save some cash.

Hope this helps,
Dave

ADC also has 30 mm Cutler Hammer devices, which are as good as A-B in my experience.

ABB has 22 mm devices that I had good luck with.

I've had great luck with AD's 22mm puchbuttons. Specifically the "metal" PB's. I like the way the contact blocks anchor to the actuator with little screws. It's not the cheesy plastic snap-on latches that so many other vendors like to use. Our operators like them too. We don't have demanding conditions (washdown, etc...) so I'm not sure about how waterproof they are.

My only complaint is with their illuminated, twist-to-release E-stop mushrooms. They're somewhat fragile if "enthusiastically" pushed. The clear red "button" tends to crack where it screws down to the actuator. They're cheap and quick to replace, but I sure wish AD would update that design with a little metal band or thicker plastic. Their non-illuminated e-stops don't have that problem.

-rpoet

I like the metal 22mm as well. I use the LED version when I need illuminated.

+1 on using the LED versions. I just went through and replaced a bunch of incandescent indicators recently. The minimal cost savings during install (incandescent) is more than outweighed by never having to worry about a burned out indicator (LED).

rpoet

I only use IDEC - they are the best in my view and have never had one fail. The indicators use real LED globes too - not those stupid things that attach on the back of a block!

I've been using the $6.95 AD 22mm "metal" pushbuttons for eight years now. I generally use them for light duty, like a machine start/stop or reset. If I have a PB that will be punched 100 times a day, I still use a $60 AB. The AD LED indicators are the only thing I use for indicator lamps and they have never failed or been a problem. I recently used an interior light that AD sells for lighting up inside enclosures - because it was the only one I could find that ran at 220VAC. It worked very well, too.

For what I use them for, the AD have been excellent. The contact blocks are ugly, but they have never failed. In fact, I used some AD EStops last year when I needed two NO and 1 NC on the EStop (on each side, that is... total of 4NO and 1NC run by the one operator). You can stack up contact blocks and it worked as advertised. Again, not attractive but no problems either.

As a guy who works for an end user (manufacuturing company), AD is a godsend because I don't build enough in a year to get any kind of discount from distributors. I have used and I do like Idec and AB, Phoenix, Weidmuller, etc. I just can't justify it for most of my builds any more. Most of the AD stuff works exactly as advertised, and if you're in an environment that will tolerate their cheaper, lighter construction it is hard to go wrong with their products.

Last edited:
I have had really good luck with the AD "metal" 22mm LED lights and switches.
I really like the way they "grab" the panel using a screw...never come loose... and a lot easier to install than having to cut a "notch" for the AB devices to keep them from "spinning". I hate that stupid AB "notch", what a pain, and you need a special tool to make the hole.

Also when you order from AD you get switch, back plate and contact block in one part number...so nice.
Yes AB "claims" they can do the same thing as 1 part number....big joke...just see if they are ever in stock... much less available for free 2 day Fed Ex delivery, as are all AD parts.

I have had really good luck with the AD "metal" 22mm LED lights and switches.
I really like the way they "grab" the panel using a screw...never come loose... and a lot easier to install than having to cut a "notch" for the AB devices to keep them from "spinning". I hate that stupid AB "notch", what a pain, and you need a special tool to make the hole.

Also when you order from AD you get switch, back plate and contact block in one part number...so nice.
Yes AB "claims" they can do the same thing as 1 part number....big joke...just see if they are ever in stock... much less available for free 2 day Fed Ex delivery, as are all AD parts.

I agree the little notch is a pain but I wasn't aware of the special tool....unless that tool is a dremel?

Dave

The AB buttons are pricey but good. I use 30 mm mostly but when I do use 22 mm I use the metal AB type.

22 mm don't hold up well here in "The Jungle".

For LED in the 30 mm I like the universal LED that works on AC or DC voltage with 1 part number.

The AB buttons are pricey but good. I use 30 mm mostly but when I do use 22 mm I use the metal AB type.

22 mm don't hold up well here in "The Jungle".

For LED in the 30 mm I like the universal LED that works on AC or DC voltage with 1 part number.

That is where I am at....we must work in similar jungles.....do you have monkeys in your jungle too?

:ROFLMAO:

Dave

That is where I am at....we must work in similar jungles.....do you have monkeys in your jungle too?

:ROFLMAO:

Dave

Even better we have Gorillas here in the south. Big, Strong, and not real bright.

Mixing them with complex multimillion dollar machinery gives some challenging results I tell ya.