ML1400 Expansion I/O Extension Cable

junior

Happy New year everybody!
I'm working on a project with a ML1400 and 7 expansion I/O modules. The issue I have is that the space in the electrical enclosure where the PLC system will go is not very wide, so I can only fit the ML1400 & 3 expansion modules. I'm wondering if any one has built or found an extension cable for the expansion I/O, so the other 4 modules could be mounted below the ML1400 with the first 3 expansion I/O modules.

Searching around, I haven't been able to find anything,so I'm considering making my own as I think I can find the ribbon cable and connectors at an electronics store.

TIA
Jr.

I'm considering making my own as I think I can find the ribbon cable and connectors at an electronics store.
I'd be interested to hear the results if you attempt to make your own. Ribbon cables are easy to make if you use the multi-contact IDC connectors. If you limit your extension to, say, less than 12 inches, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

id be careful about doing something like this depending on what application this is being used in. if someones hand gets chopped off and there is an investigation, I surely wouldnt want to be the one having to explain why I made my own ribbon cable that wasnt approved by the plc manufacturer.

You guys bring up some good points. I'm going to think about it. It looks like they use a 10 pin IDC connector which you can buy with a ribbon cable already attached. I might try it to see if it will work, but might not implement it in the final solution.

Jr.