2- 1756-ENBT in one rack for redundant Ethernet Communication

Rob S.

We have a piece of equipment that is very important to our overall operation. We lost communication on Friday that caused some issues. My question is , how difficult would it be to have 2 - 1756-ENBT EtherNet modules in one rack , so if one connection or module would fail , the other would take over. Would there be any additional code to write ? Could we have the same IP Address for both modules ?

Thanks , and have a good weekend.

It depends on the HMI software.

You definitely cannot have duplicate IP addresses. And I strongly recommend against trying to roll your own IP swapping code inside the Logix controller. I have been down that path and was eaten by a grue.

I did a system with RSView32 and the RSLinx Classic OPC Topic Switcher. That worked well. I don't know of a way to do a similar thing with Factory talk View.