AB EthernetIP connections

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
Looking through the CompactLogix selection guide, I am looking at the specs and it is listing

as

"EtherNet/IP nodes in a single Logix
Designer application, max"

for a 1769-L24ER-QBFC1B

Can anyone give a more clear definition of what they mean by "nodes in a single Logix Designer application"?

Is the restriction only on nodes I setup in the IO tree on the left? Does that mean connections to my Laptop or to the PanelViewPlus are not counted? I had always treated this as total connections in the past.

I believe the reference is to how many remote I/O nodes you can have. Although offline it is letting me create 10 without any errors. Perhaps downloading to a live system would yield different results.

Your laptop and PanelView connections still count as TCP and EtherNet/IP connections, just not toward the node limit.

That's how I interpret it. Maybe someone else can chip in if they know differently.

OG

When I downloaded to a controller with more than the allowed limits it caused errors

Thanks Jeff and OG.

I am looking on page 314 of Rockwell Automation Publication 1769-UM021D-EN-P - December 2012
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1769-um021_-en-p.pdf

Table 49 is a bit confusing. On one hand it seems to imply 256 CIP and 120 TCP connections are OK, but then under Produced/Consumed tags it lisr 32 MultiCast and 128 Unicast tags max, with note (2) that these are the maximum number of CIP I/O connections. Looks like I am going to have to dig through the manuals to gain a better understanding, but it does appear that the limit of 8 is only in the setup of the IO tree.