Overload Trip Reset

Blind

I am looking at a way where I can set up an instruction (Omron) that if motor(s) are overloaded; it will allow me to reset my overloads (3) times in a 10 minute period.

After the 10 minutes is up I have to manually push a reset button (push button)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Assuming you have an AC motor and an external overload relay.

So do you have an overload relay that can be remotely reset? It is not common, but is sometimes a feature of solid state OL relays. Others that are not SS sometimes have a solenoid powered plunger that will push the reset button as well. What you have will make all the difference in how you implement it in a program.

A work-around would be to use an OL with automatic reset, then wire the Trip indicator aux to the PLC as an input, count the number of trips and after 3, YOU disable the starter control via the program and require a manual push button closure to a different input to reset it after some proscribed time. The OL relay itself will of course still automatically reset, but you will have disabled the starter elsewhere.

However, you may not get to dictate when and how often the OL relay can be reset. The trip times and cooling time constants used in OL relays are designed to mimic the thermal damage curve and cooling time constants of the motors they are connected to.

An overload is normal- a remote reset for the overload is not. I think this question was regarding a remote reset? Not sure though because it says "allows me" to reset it.

Well anyway- Jraef has a good suggestion of using the automatic reset and then locking the program out.

I should have added though, that automatically resetting an overload relay is fraught with dangers, not only to equipment but to personnel as well. It should NOT be undertaken lightly.

It should not be undertaken at all! Some lazy 'B' should get off his big fat 'A' and go and check what is going on! Overloads do not trip for no reason if they are set correctly - apart from the safety issues! Auto reset the overload and take someones arm off? No way!