compactlogix Controller IP Address?

ctsoft

Hello to all,

I attending a system come with compactlogix controller 1769-L32E. I did not know the IP and submask address.
Is there anyway or any software can find out the IP Address of that controller has assigned.
TQ.

Method 1: If you know the IP subnet that the controller should be on, set your computer for an address on the same IP subnet and use the "EtherNet/IP" browsing driver in RSLinx Classic. It will send out a broadcast packet and list the Logix-family controllers on that subnet.

Method 2: Connect an RS-232 cable (1747-CP3 or 1756-CP3, or any other null-modem cable) and use the DF1 Full Duplex driver to browse through the serial port to the Ethernet daughtercard. Right-click and select Configure Module to see the IP configuration page.

Method 3: Connect to the same Ethernet switch and run Wireshark monitoring software while you cycle power to the CompactLogix. You should see an ARP packet go by when the controller joins the network.

Method 3: Connect to the same Ethernet switch and run Wireshark monitoring software while you cycle power to the CompactLogix. You should see an ARP packet go by when the controller joins the network.

And make sure that your switch isn't trying to help you out by bypassing the port to your PC.

This shouldn't affect the OP if it's just his PC tied to the CompactLogix, but if he tries to sniff the traffic between (for example) a PLC and a HMI, the switch will want to prevent the traffic from going to the PC (since as far as the PLC and the HMI are concerned, it isn't part of the conversation).

A cheap hub works best (or just cut up a couple of cables and make your own).

ARP packets are broadcasts, so you can usually see them on every port of the switch.

But it's not a foolproof method, especially if the PLC and the switch are connected to the same power supply and the PLC is done sending ARP packets before your computer (with Wireshark) finishes connecting.

Thank you,Ken.

I use method 2 to retrieve the controller IP address.

Now, I'm able online with Ethernet/IP connection.

Again thank you very much.

When I do network analysis, I cut straight to the chase and get out this bad boy:

http://www.fte.com/products/NetworkTap-userguide.aspx

untitled-1.si.jpg

Er, I mean I get out the Ethernet ComProbe. I don't have any access to NROL-39. As far as you know.