Remote access, cellular, etc. CLX on Ethernet/IP

einnh

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a machine running using: CLX and FlexIO on an ethernet/ip network. I have a request in to allow remote (operator/hmi) access to the system. The machine is in a remote area and thus a cellular type connection would have to be made.

Here are my thoughts:
Install a cellular router in the machine, allow a remote user to vpn in and use the factorytalk station on their laptop to control the machine.

This seems rather straightforward. Is there something I am missing? Does anyone have recommendations on the router? How do I go about getting a SIM card for such a device (operating in the United States).

Thank you for any information you can provide.

there are companies that provide remote scada hosting. they usually charge a fee per month depending on how many points you have and how fast you want the data to be updated. they can also provide cellular service to connect tot he equipment. pm me if you need more info. that way you dont have to provide or maintain software to access a remote site like you are talking about.

I've used a sixnet modem, now redlion with a AT&T I2gold plan which gets you a static IP. I think to that you can have redlion setup everything for an additional $90.00 to the cost if the modem

I use these....

http://www.netcommwireless.com/product/m2m/ntc-6000

In NZ. The NTC6908 has an Open VPN server built in, ans also does SMS via the serial port or or can be mapped as a virtual port for legacy serial connections..

We cant have static IP on cellular here, so just use Dyndns to find...

Only cellular cost which can be prepay as required, or plan... Just works... Not sure if is available everywhere thou...

The setup is going to be as follows. The only part of the equation I don't know about is the cellular hardware on the machine end.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s273/...9ac6f861c970/14dfee4a990336ccf7376d852be1825a

User at point A
* Operating from iPad using HMIPAD app
* Operating on ATT network through VPN tunnel to facility at point B

Facility point B
* vpn server handles network connection and handoff between A & B

Machine at point C
* CLX on ethernet/ip.
* needs cellular modem? gateway? router?
* has seperate network hardware to handle VPN connection to site B.

I believe that means I just require some sort of cellular gateway correct?

Will this work: http://store.moxa.com/a/product/oncell-g3000-ip-gateway?id=M20090309050

?

Last edited:
WebPort made in US is similar to e w o n. They makes a cell version of their device that would save you from doing some of the intermediate stuff since they combine the VPN/Gateway/Cell into one unit. You connect by using a VPN client that works through a website hosted on Microsoft Azure cloud server.

The only problem I see if the iPad you intend to use, since you will need a VPN client that works with iPad.