Redundancy

Mihir_007

Hey guys,
Please tell me the process for the redundancy in CompactLogix 1769-L33ER(2 Nos. Of controller) based system.

Also tell some program for that redundancy.

How can you say nothing was helpful? Your question has been asked before and Osmanmom pointed you to 4 other threads which had answers and useful links to explain the pros and cons of what you are seeking to do. What more could you need?

How can you say nothing was helpful? Your question has been asked before and Osmanmom pointed you to 4 other threads which had answers and useful links to explain the pros and cons of what you are seeking to do. What more could you need?
That all posts mention that redundancy is not possible in compact logix where as i have seen the redundant system.
I just wanna know the procedure that to make the compactlogix based system redundant.
That's it.

And among all the pointed threads, i didn't find anything which can resolve my que.

Dear,

L33ER controller is specially made for redindancy purpose.
Google it. There are lots of article even on Rockwell's website as well.

Are you describing a system with an Ethernet ring network ? That provides a fault tolerant communications system but it is not "redundancy" in the usual sense of the word.

Or is this a system that has implemented a DeviceNet warm standby system ? As you have no doubt read, that is the only supported dual-controller arrangement for CompactLogix and it is not a true redundancy system.

The more you can tell the Forum about the system you are working on, the more we can tell you about how it might be designed and configured.

[/QUOTE]
Are you describing a system with an Ethernet ring network ? That provides a fault tolerant communications system but it is not "redundancy" in the usual sense of the word.

Or is this a system that has implemented a DeviceNet warm standby system ? As you have no doubt read, that is the only supported dual-controller arrangement for CompactLogix and it is not a true redundancy system.

The more you can tell the Forum about the system you are working on, the more we can tell you about how it might be designed and configured.
Dear Ken Roach,
I am working with 2 compactLogix. That is connected on ethernet, with flex IOs using AENTR adaptor.
See the network architecture below and assist how can i make this system redundant, whether it is hot standby or EZ.

Last edited:
Page 4 of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1756-rm094_-en-p.pdf says differently. I'm not an expert on this but from what I read on the 'nothing helpful' links that were posted earlier there are options for Hot Backup or EZ Backup but full redundancy is not supported by the CompactLogix.
May be you are right beethoveen, but i have seen a redundant system based on compactLogix. I do not know which kind of redundancy was that. But by asking the developer, he simply told me that "The system is redundant and anyone can make this system redundant by simply writing a program for swapping a controller. i.e., for primary and secondary."

Now the question is that what to write in 5000 for this swapping.

we have done a redundant system before using controllogix with a hot pc backup system in a food processing plant.

cannot say about compact logix.

regards,
james
ControlLogix has 1756-RM2 module. So its easy to get the redundancy. you do not have to write any program for that.
Compact controller's redundacy is kinda software based.
:)

What you saw was a CompactLogix system consisting of two controllers for which somebody had implemented a standby or backup CPU feature and called it "redundancy".

He is certainly welcome to call it "redundancy", and to make claims to you about how easy it is, but he is making claims only about his own engineering work. "Redundancy" has no specific legal or engineering meaning.

Rockwell Automation's ControlLogix Redundancy includes features like dual-channel networking, firmware compatibility checking, automatic cross-loading of edits and data tables, and a strong set of testing and performance measurements. Rockwell Automation advertises, promotes, sells, and supports ControlLogix Redundancy with the features that they think are appropriate for a control system to be called "redundant".

Rockwell Automation does not sell, advertise, promote, document, test, or support a CompactLogix architecture in which one can "simply write a program for swapping a controller".

What you saw was a CompactLogix system consisting of two controllers for which somebody had implemented a standby or backup CPU feature and called it "redundancy".

He is certainly welcome to call it "redundancy", and to make claims to you about how easy it is, but he is making claims only about his own engineering work. "Redundancy" has no specific legal or engineering meaning.

Rockwell Automation's ControlLogix Redundancy includes features like dual-channel networking, firmware compatibility checking, automatic cross-loading of edits and data tables, and a strong set of testing and performance measurements. Rockwell Automation advertises, promotes, sells, and supports ControlLogix Redundancy with the features that they think are appropriate for a control system to be called "redundant".

Rockwell Automation does not sell, advertise, promote, document, test, or support a CompactLogix architecture in which one can "simply write a program for swapping a controller".
Ohk.
Thank you for your valuable response.