WEG Contactors

I noticed AutomationDirect is selling these now. For small motors they're quite a steal (UP to 22 amps). Anybody use these before? What are your thoughts? Is this a "you get what you pay for" situation?

I don't think so.

I've been using ADC stuff for 11 years now and they haven't let me down. They have always crushed my local pricing and I usually sprinkle in a few spares if I'm concerned.

Love the username +1 for you :D

I haven't used the contactors, but my experience with ADC echoes Elake20's, and I've been using them since they opened the doors. It is right to be suspicious of very low pricing. Daddy always said "You get what you pay for, or less."

In ADC's case they don't do it by skimping on quality. They do it with a high volume and direct to customer market channel. Rockwell and Schneider and Siemens use distributors who have to make a profit. If you need support or assistance in selection the distributor's earn their money. If not, then there is no reason to go through them.

Last edited:
If they are as bad as WEG motors I think not! The capacitance in the windings varies wildly for the same motor size!

I've seen people comment several places that IEC-style contactors are much less robust than "equivalent" NEMA-style contactors. I believe that the WEG models are built to IEC standards. Not anything against AD, or WEG for that matter, but from what I've read you have to be more careful how you use IEC contactors. NEMA contactors can take much more abuse; IEC-styles demand more engineering in their application.

-rpoet

I use IEC contactors all the time (Schneider) and have no issues with them. Very low failure rate even after years. Very reliable when sized correctly - very unreliable when sized incorrectly!
We do not have huge NEMA contactors here - when a machine comes in with them we all have a look at the massive size for such a small motor.

Thanks for the replies.

My main exposure to ADC is the C-More touch panels, which I am absolutely in love with. Sure, they have limitations, but those limitations don't affect 99% of the jobs I do. I was telling a customer all the things they could do with their machine now thanks to the C-More (backup their recipes, even the whole HMI program so they could do a full restore themselves, access remotely over the network, even on an iPhone) and their jaws just dropped. Sure, you can coax a lot of those things out of a Panelview, but the C-More is cheaper, and turning those features on is checking a few checkboxes and you're done. The level of B.S. with the C-More is infantesemal compared to a Panelview Plus.

I've heard that about IEC contactors. Where I used to work, we had lightning strike the building one night. A ton of the IEC contactors throughout the building were welded...OPEN (weird, huh?). Like you couldn't physically push them in. None of the NEMA contactors were affected. Problem is, NEMA starters aren't fingersafe, and they're huge. And although panel space is cheaper than it used to be, having a gargantuan panel is not always an option. I've seen a lot of IEC contactors that were decades old and still working just fine. Seems like NEMA is better at handling power surges and the like.

Thanks for the replies.

My main exposure to ADC is the C-More touch panels, which I am absolutely in love with. Sure, they have limitations, but those limitations don't affect 99% of the jobs I do. I was telling a customer all the things they could do with their machine now thanks to the C-More (backup their recipes, even the whole HMI program so they could do a full restore themselves, access remotely over the network, even on an iPhone) and their jaws just dropped. Sure, you can coax a lot of those things out of a Panelview, but the C-More is cheaper, and turning those features on is checking a few checkboxes and you're done. The level of B.S. with the C-More is infantesemal compared to a Panelview Plus.

I've heard that about IEC contactors. Where I used to work, we had lightning strike the building one night. A ton of the IEC contactors throughout the building were welded...OPEN (weird, huh?). Like you couldn't physically push them in. None of the NEMA contactors were affected. Problem is, NEMA starters aren't fingersafe, and they're huge. And although panel space is cheaper than it used to be, having a gargantuan panel is not always an option. I've seen a lot of IEC contactors that were decades old and still working just fine. Seems like NEMA is better at handling power surges and the like.

NEMA rated contactors are overkill for most applications. They are designed for harsh service and long lifespans. The build quality of IEC rated contactors tend to be rather chintzy by comparison, yet they are more than adequate for most applications, so long as they are specified correctly.

"The selection of IEC starters is more complex than NEMA starters. It is based on
mechanical and electrical life in number of operations at maximum rated current and
on motor duty cycle. Some designers prefer NEMA starters because they are more
robust mechanically and electrically. However, if the selection is made correctly IEC
starters will provide satisfactory operation for the life of the system."

I've been using AD for years... 8 or 9 now... and never had any issues with what I bought. We use them for everything except PLCs and sometimes HMIs. I have a few C-more, I still prefer PV Plus if I can afford it. But for commodity items, AD is the lowest price I can get and I've never had an issue with their power supplies, VFDs, contactors, relays, prox switches, switches, lamps, unmanaged ENet switches, etc. Some of the switches are kind of ugly, but at $6.50 for a complete pushbutton switch, with actuator, contact block and bezel, or $9.50 for a two-position SS I'll live with it.

I have also recently tried their safety relays and light curtains, and those were fine too.​