How do i get message on hmi when PLC looses power

Laker31

Hi,
I am working on a senior project. I would like to have either an Alarm or a message on the HMI saying that the PLC lost power or the communication was lost between the HMI and the PLC. I have read somewhere I could use the timeout from the HMI. However I do not know how to configure it or where to find it. Please help me.
I use the following equipment:
- AB PanelView Plus 1000
- FactoryTalk View Studion - Machine Edition
- AB Compact Guard Logix L45s
- RSLogix 5000

Thank you,

Ta Da! Task complete

Hi,
I am working on a senior project. I would like to have either an Alarm or a message on the HMI saying that the PLC lost power or the communication was lost between the HMI and the PLC. I have read somewhere I could use the timeout from the HMI. However I do not know how to configure it or where to find it. Please help me.
I use the following equipment:
- AB PanelView Plus 1000
- FactoryTalk View Studion - Machine Edition
- AB Compact Guard Logix L45s
- RSLogix 5000

Thank you,

When you panelview displays "Error" in 100% of you objects that have a PLC tag connection...... then you know that the HMI is not connected to the PLC.

Welcome to the Forum ! Have the snowbanks melted yet up in the Soo ?

RSLinx Enterprise has a pre-defined Item called "@IsPresent" for each Shortcut. It tells you if the communications path to the controller is running.

You can use it as an Alarm Trigger, or to animate the Visibility of some warning text.

The syntax is just [ShortcutName]@IsPresent

Welcome to the Forum ! Have the snowbanks melted yet up in the Soo ?

RSLinx Enterprise has a pre-defined Item called "@IsPresent" for each Shortcut. It tells you if the communications path to the controller is running.

You can use it as an Alarm Trigger, or to animate the Visibility of some warning text.

The syntax is just [ShortcutName]@IsPresent

Thank you Ken.

Unfortunately there is still snow bank in the Soo and I was not able to make your advise work. When I write your syntax in the visibility expression for my warning text it tells me that i have an invalid character in the expression.

Here is screen print of it. http://imgur.com/ZCJP6oa

Thanks for your help

Shame on me for not checking. The curly brackets go around the whole thing.

I think that's because an RSLinx Enterprise pre-defined Item is more like a Direct Reference than it is like an HMI Tag, because it explicitly includes the Shortcut.

{[TeamLOCI]@IsPresent}

Ahh, I've never used @IsPresent before so I though it was special in that you didn't have to bracket it. Hopefully that works.

G.

Thank you everyone, the text box appears now.

However, it takes 20 s for the HMI to realize that it lost communication with the PLC controller. Is there anyway to make the HMI reacts faster?

I don't think there's a way to configure the timeout.

I think 20 seconds is far too long for a fast network, but it's probably set way down at the TCP/IP stack level and those sort of long timeouts are traditional.

I found this...

43438 - @IsPresent is slow to change when the Ethernet cable is pulled
Access Level: TechConnect

Seems it is configurable Ken?

G.

Both RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise have an @IsPresent pre-defined item.

That technote refers to adjusting the timeout in RSLinx Classic.

As far as I can tell, there is no similar method for adjusting the RSLinx Enterprise drivers that the PanelView Plus uses.

Why not simply read a square wave heartbeat pulse from the PLC and trigger an alarm via two counters in HMI logic that increment whenever Heartbeat==On or Heartbeat==Off? That would verify not only a good communication link, but that the PLC is actually running.

I often use variable increment to indicate PLC heartbeat. When it goes to 0, I know there's something wrong either with the PLC or communication in between.