Panel View Plus communication fails

jainil2210

Hello,

I faced a strange problem in one of my current project

I am using 1769-L33E controller with panel view plus 6

it is communicating fine for some time and suddenly I faced communication error on top of HMI screen in blue banner : "CPU communication fail" and I lost all the data in screen, This is happening many times in a day
I have to manually recycle the power of HMI and unplug the Ethernet cable and connect again to restore communication.

I am not able to figure out why it is happening.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE
IP for controller 10.10.10.1 (1769-L33E)
IP for HMI : 10.10.10.2 (panel view plus 6, keypad - 2711P k4 series)
communication is thru Ethernet switch

Are there any other devices on this network that might have taken a duplicate IP address to the PanelView or the controller ?

Next time the problem occurs, connect a computer to the network switch and try to PING the PanelView and the CompactLogix.

Also carefully look at the actual state of the module and network status LEDs on the CompactLogix, and the link LEDs on the Ethernet switch.

"CPU COMMUNICATION FAIL" is not a built-in message of FactoryTalk View, so it must have been programmed into the PanelView application by your programmer. Investigate exactly what conditions cause that to appear.

Hello Ken,

Thanks for your reply
There is no other device on this network, yes thru modbus we are sending data to DCS, that is thru modbus module

I have only controller 10.10.10.1 and HMi 10.10.10.2 on this network

Unfortunately CPU communication fail is not a programmed message, and not appearing in HMI alarm list screeb. It is HMI system generated message coming on top of HMI screen with blue back ground and white text, and HMi is asking to press F1 to close, but if we close and the message pops up again.

Unfortunately I am not in front of this PLC to check comm LED and status, and person at site is not qualified to connect it rhu laptop and see the errors.

Can I change the Ip of HMi to say, 10.10.10.3/4/5 any of this and check if problem repeats or not. Does it work?

You might be seeing the built-in [DIAG] Diagnostics Display for PanelView Plus.

I would be interested to know the exact and correct text of the error message.

How does the DCS relate to this PanelView Plus ? Are you communicating between the PV+ and the DCS via the serial port and Modbus protocol ?

You may need the local person to take some photographs for you.

Hi

yes, even I am also interested to see the exact text coming on the PV+
yes you are correct it is Diag display on PV+, sorry I would have use this word earlier

PV+ is not communicating to DCS, only PLC is communicating to DCS thru MVI69-MCM module

I will ask sme local site conact to brich some photographs of this error and will send you once on receipt.

It is not normal, of course, for the PanelView Plus to just lose communication with the PLC several times a day and require a power cycle.

Have you tried substituting different Ethernet cables ?

Does your Ethernet switch offer any diagnostic features ?

I realize you are not onsite and do not have any capable onsite assistance, but the CompactLogix does include good Ethernet diagnostic counters that are accessible via the embeeded Web server, or using RSLinx Classic software.

Yes I tried changing Ethernet cable, I mean I asked someone on site to do this, but failed
Well I am using 1783-US05T ethernet switch, Does it include diagnosis assistance ? OI really dont know.

Can you send some article or useful instruction note how to get connected with compact logix using embedded web server via RS linx, it will be very important and can save my site visit as well.

Thanks for your sincere help

I had an issue with panelview comms similar to that a few years ago. Make sure your firmware is up to date. Also, check the memory usage in the PLC (yes, the PLC). Our PLC memory was maxed out and this somehow created communication issues with the HMI. It tended to manifest itself when changing to certain screens that had more objects on them. We had some logic in the PLC that was carryover from another project and wasn't being used. After deleting the unused logic and getting back about 5% of the memory the comms issue went away.

Is your screen on a dedicated power suppy?

I had an issue with an EZAutomation panel losing comms with a SLC 5/04 over DH+ two or three times a day. I put the screen on a dedicated power supply about two weeks ago and have not had a problem since.

Yes, My screen is with dedicated power supply
regarding firmware I recently updated firmware to PLC (from 16 to ver 20) and to panel view (6.0)

It is not normal, of course, for the PanelView Plus to just lose communication with the PLC several times a day and require a power cycle.

Have you tried substituting different Ethernet cables ?

Does your Ethernet switch offer any diagnostic features ?

I realize you are not onsite and do not have any capable onsite assistance, but the CompactLogix does include good Ethernet diagnostic counters that are accessible via the embeeded Web server, or using RSLinx Classic software.

Hello,

I am having same issues. I have a PVP7 (v10 firmware, P/N 2711P-T10C21D8S, Ser. A) connected directly to a CompactLogix L24ER. I do see communication loss between PLC and local HMI once in a while. I uploaded .mer file, reconfigured communication path, and downloaded it back to PVP7. But I still see Communication Loss every 2 to 3 days.

I have checked for duplicate IP addresses. There are NONE.

The only thing I have not done yet, is changing CAT6 cable. Do you think I need crossover cable since it is connecting PVP7 directly to L24ER?

I have attached a picture here of port diagnostics from PLC program when PVP7 was talking to controller. What counters will tell me what details? Can I add something in PLC or PVP7 for communication diagnostics?

Any help will be appreciated.

Network Port Data.PNG

Good Evening ,

I know this is a super old post , but this is the same problem that I’m having now . Replaced the CompactLogix L33 -ER , a few cables , replaced the unmanaged Stratix Switches , etc. Does anyone recall what the fix was .

Thanks so much .

I was looking into a similar issue and just read an article in the knowledgebase to check that the date and time is set correctly in the Panelview. It states that the wrong date can cause an issue with the alarm server and cause the unit to lockup and lose communications.

Having the same problem, its a Panelview 1250 V8.0 its going to an Stratix 2000 1783-US5T and then to a Stratix 8000, its loosing connection a lot, unfortunetly i dont have the password for the 8000 to review logs, so i just disconnect the cable from the 8000 to the 2000 and the communication is restored... maybe for half shift
Any ideas of how to fix this?

My issue was fixed using new cross-over RJ45 cable since my PVP7 was connected directly to port of PLC controller.

The old cable was really bent near ends.