Fan Help

8keith8

Currently working at a factory with some old equipment. Our fans go down a lot and the only way we currently know is to manually check them. I'm looking for a way through wifi to hook up some kind of sensor to make sure the fan is actually spinning and be able to open it up on a computer and see all the fans that are spinning and all the fans that are not.

We are trying to stick with WiFi or POE systems at the moment.

An air flow proving switch comes to mind. You could use industrial wireless I/O from banner or others to get a few I/O points on the fans.
Are these roof mounted fans? How many HP per fan? what sort of distances are covered by them and the receiving PC?

And why do these fans go down a lot?

if the windings burn out, use an aux. contact on the motor starter.

there is alao power monitors for motors.

use the inputs to a plc.
the plc can then trigger indicator lights.
an mmi system cna show a visual of the system running.

regards,
james

Improvement

If you planning to automate your plant with wifi, it’s better you’re understand the disadvantage and advantage using wifi.

While you making improvement do a paper work are the wifi senstive with another machine system around there.

Lifetime and cost replacement.

If you planning using wifi scada system to monitoring and controlling your B&G select suitable SCADA Software.

Planning and present to your boss, wait what he want say.

What kind of fans are you referring to and how are they controlled? Small muffin fans using low voltage DC, like 24VDC? Mid size single phase AC fans? Large 3 phase fans?

Most industrial fans I am visualizing needing wireless monitoring are belt driven, so you need to detect a change in load when belts break if you do this electrically with a monitoring relay, or cut to the chase with air flow proving switch, which will change states when the fan stops turning or the damper is closed or if there is a filter that is plugged, no matter what happens electrically if air is flowing or not is the bottom line need to know info.

Cheap switch:
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Cleveland-Controls-NS2-0000-00-Air-Flow-Pressure-Sensing-Switch-1-10-W-C

Last edited:
Use a LDR, or a fototransistor, with some simple resistors it can be direct input to PLC.
No need to do it fast, just check them now and then.