CLogix Event Driven Tasks from RIO

mbailey

Has anyone had any experience trying to initiate an event driven task from a CLogix RIO rack? The network is EIP. The signal I am trying to capture is a DC input that is 40ms long every 600ms. There will be a reasonable amount of EIP I/O in this system with 2 CLogix RIO racks and 1 flexnet RIO rack. Most modules will be set to use the default RPI (I think it is 20ms) and I have not yet worked out whether Rack optimised data will be efficient as there is a mixture of I/O types.

I also need to gain a better understanding of the RPI. This is what I think happens... the processor sets an RPI for a module that during the connection phase gets forwarded to the module. The module then produces data at that RPI. If I am correct then what happens if network traffic prevents the data from being produced at that rate? I am trying to understand so that if my DC input on the RIO has an RPI of 5ms what are my guarantees that this will actually happen?

At this stage the project is still in design so am looking for some general advice on whether this sounds feasible. Any ideas on how I should approach some theoretical modelling on whether the timing I require is possible. Will be looking at using an L72 processor in the main rack.

TIA.

Has anyone had any experience trying to initiate an event driven task from a CLogix RIO rack? The network is EIP. The signal I am trying to capture is a DC input that is 40ms long every 600ms. There will be a reasonable amount of EIP I/O in this system with 2 CLogix RIO racks and 1 flexnet RIO rack. Most modules will be set to use the default RPI (I think it is 20ms) and I have not yet worked out whether Rack optimised data will be efficient as there is a mixture of I/O types.

I also need to gain a better understanding of the RPI. This is what I think happens... the processor sets an RPI for a module that during the connection phase gets forwarded to the module. The module then produces data at that RPI. If I am correct then what happens if network traffic prevents the data from being produced at that rate? I am trying to understand so that if my DC input on the RIO has an RPI of 5ms what are my guarantees that this will actually happen?

At this stage the project is still in design so am looking for some general advice on whether this sounds feasible. Any ideas on how I should approach some theoretical modelling on whether the timing I require is possible. Will be looking at using an L72 processor in the main rack.

TIA.

Rack Optimisation will reduce the number of "connections", and therefore the number of produced/consumed tag exchanges, but it will only apply to digital I/O modules.

Even if there are only 2 digital I/O modules in a remote chassis, rack optimisation reduces the connection count.

You can still add modules to use non rack-optimised connections, even if you use rack optimisation for the remainder. You just need to change the Comm Format from the default when you add the module, and you can set the RPI independently to the rack optimisation module RPI. You also don't need to worry about the RPI when triggering Event tasks, you can configure the input module to "notify" the controller of specific inputs C.O.S.

IMHO I don't think you will have any issues from the timings you described, provided that the EIP network is dedicated to I/O. I would not put EIP RIO on the general network. Remember that the ControlLogix backplane is only 5MB/s...

Have you considered moving the controller to the chassis where the "critical" input module resides? It can go anywhere in the system, as I'm sure you are aware....

daba

Last edited: