from my post yesterday

ebenezer

I'm curious if anyone would think this would work

Ok i have

three SLC500's /03 or newer (2 of them connected to PanelView 1000s) via DH+
2 Micrologix 1500's each have one rs232 and one mini din...each have a Maple System Screen connected via RS-232; each have mini din connected to an adapter that changes it into an RS232; RS232 goes to a modem

Here's my plan

SLC500/03 use EXEMYS SSE232 to convert Serial to rj45; ethernet goes to switch

on both ML1500: get rid of modems, use mini din to serial adapter, plug serial into screen, use existing rs232 and connect to a RS232 to ethernet adapter; ethernet goes to switch.

Does anyone think that will work? On AB website it shows that the SLC5/03 will plug directy into a ethernet network, but i don't see any rj45 connection on them

First, you've made a small typo, the SLC5/03's probably use DH485 to the PV1000's, not DH+.

That EXEMYS SSE232 device is approximately the same as an AB 1761-NET-ENI. It encapsulates the serial port characters and transmits them via Ethernet. But the NET-ENI is better because it has native support for the DF1 protocol that (allmost) all AB PLCs use.
There are a lot of other serial-to-ethernet converters out there. But the NET-ENI is probably the best choice for you.

When the AB website mentions SLC5/03 on Ethernet, then they allmost certainly mean to use a NET-ENI.

thanks....still looking into it. As far as the logic....would anyone think it would work? I'm just afraid from going through too many adapters...so far it goes:

Micrologix 1500 machine to mini din, mini din cord to normal rs232, Rs232 connection to an ethernet adapter...ethernet adapter to switch, switch to ethernet card in master DCS unit

Last edited:
Yes, I think it will work.

And I think it will be the neatest solution because you can keep the PV1000s and Maple screens, each on a dedicated port with no need to mix it with the connection to your datacollection system.

Search for "NET-ENI" on this site as well as Rockwells knowledgebase and forum sites to get further information.

What datacollection software will you use ?
I think it must use one of two methods to connect to the SLCs and ML1500s:

1. If it supports the DF1 protocol natively, then you probably have to set up a number of virtual COM ports. Each virtual COM port then connects to one PLC via the NET-ENI.

2. If it supports OPC, then you need Rockwell RSLinx OEM.
In RSLinx you have to configure a number of "topics", each topic will be a connection to one PLC.
The datacollection software then connects via the topics.

edit: To your last edits: There must be a cable with mini-DIN that connects directly to the NET-ENI.

the company never stated how they planned on retreiving the data...they just asked to have a quote on how much it would cost to network the plc's together; however, i have a feeling that they won't want to do it after they find out how much parts and the electrican work will be...just to collect a little data

Btw...we have researched that AB serial to ethernet adapter...it's always best to stay with the manufacturer anyways instead of 3rd party hardware....the price difference is phenomenal though...AB is proud of their hardware

An alternative if you want to go on the cheap:

In the datacollection PC, install a multiport serial expansion card. One with for example 8 ports, RS422 and optical isolation on all ports can be purchased for approx 700 USD (ex: MOXA SER8I+PCI and SER8RS422I).

On each PLC, install an RS232/RS422 converter with optical isolation.
They come from USD 80 and up.

You then have 8 dedicated COM ports in the datacollection PC, each port can then connect to each PLC with DF1 protocol.