Windows 8.1

besc

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am getting back in the PLC world after being away for 15 yrs which I have mentioned before on this forum. A lot has changed. I'm going to be using Windows 8.1 and am wandering if anyone has had issues with it. Especially with the downloadabe emulators and sumulators? Also, someone mentioned this before but didn't quite sink in. Has CompactLogix replaced Contrologix and RSLogix? I'm real naive right now. Thats waht 15 yrs does to you. thanks. Mike.

I'm not aware of any automation software that will function in a native Windows 8 environment. That is why so many people now rely upon Virtual Machines.

ControlLogix and CompactLogix are hardware platforms, while RSLogix is the software used for programming these PLCs. Both hardware platforms are still currently available and supported by AB, as is the SLC platform.

I have RSLogix5000 working on Windows 8.1 but only as a "test" platform. It's not supported by AB in Windows 8 yet. Hopefully the next version will be.

Virtual Machines are an absolute requirement. If you've been away for 15 years get educated on them.

I'm not aware of any automation software that will function in a native Windows 8 environment. That is why so many people now rely upon Virtual Machines.

The new Siemens software (V13) supports Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, although it is not a touch friendly interface and I doubt it fits the Metro interface. Everyone I know uses Windows 7 still, or virtual machines.

Omron supported Window 7 3 weeks after it came out and 64 bit about 6 weeks later.
They also supported Windows 8 since it came out.
It also shuts down properly and does not 'hog' serial ports and the like as many others do - shut it down and it shuts down completely.
All others go in a VM.