ML 1400 analog Inputs

QvixoteRoux

Hi, its been a while since I began to program Micrologix family PLC but everything was way simple. Now I am a bit stuck with the analog Inputs in a 1400 (1766-L32BWAA)

I have 3 similar to practice at school, Last week when I was learning about the input value (for SCL instruction) I was using a variable voltage source instead of a transducer o sensor and everything went fine with the values, I then added a potenciometer and a simple temp sensor (the ones used in mini splits a/c)

But today, working with other of the PLC and the same kind of variable source (cant tell if it was exactly the same device but very identical like a twin) the input value for the analog input was at max = 4060 and the kin I dont remember but was aprox 2400.

I was able to calculate it anyway and make it work but, the source I was using was providing me a range from 0 to 10 V, I even increased it to 15 but the input value remained at 4060, supposedly it would be 32,700 a bit more like last week PLC.

Is there a chance I mistaken any config or setting? I am using the on board inputs I:0.4 to I:0.7 and in all of them the values were the same.
Also, I am not sure if the common to input has polarity, I first connected the + of the source to the common and the - to the input but nothing appeared in the input so I inverted it, did I blew something?

Or by any chance it was a wirinf or source problem?

Also I found a glitch, In the I/O config if i add any analo module to the plc and the read the I/O from the online PLC, that file will always fault me the PLC, even if I remome the module that phisically doesnt exits.

For now those are the questions, I have more but are a slightly different topic.

Thanks

The resolution of the analog inputs on the ML1400 is only 12 bit (0 to 4096). There is no workaround. You need an analog input card (like a 1762-IF4) to have 16 bit (-32768-32767) resolution.

Also, you should have been careful about what you attempted to input to the on-board analog inputs. From the manual:
Voltage input overvoltage protection 10.5 V DC
So, 15 volts may have not been the best thing for the inputs. Maybe someone else already applied too much voltage and ruined them ...

@FactoryTalk you are right, I had this doubt about the resolutions bits, I tested it today with the other 2 PLC and is working, I dont know how my memory messed it with the values of the first test.
I was developing a small program to calculate rate and offset, but I might have to add options for built in and external cards, and also the raw/proportional and PID.

@Danatomega: Luckly nothing was damaged, I intented 12V not 15, everything is working right on the 3 PLC