Help on Nais PLC Wiring to connect multiple NPN sensors

benita26

Dear all,

I am a student. Please share on the right wiring of the attached PLC (Panasonic Nais FP1-C40. I am using AC connection and able to power ON the PLC but not able to turn on the input.

I am using photoelectric NPN sensors as input. Do i need to ground all the Com input and connect the sensor output with 24V? (As illustrated in attached files).

Your help is much appreciated.

Thank You & Best Regards,
Benita

Hi Benita,

Have a look at the manual in the first link provided by osmanmom, page 46 (PDF page 54), there's an example there (as always... read the manual first!). basically your inputs can be made to be either sinking or sourcing just by changing the common voltage applied to the COM terminals. When the common voltage is 0V, applying 24V will turn the input on. When the common voltage is 24V, tying the input to 0V will turn the input on.

This second option (24V applied to COM terminals) is what you want to. then you connect the emitter leg of your sensor to 0V, and the collector leg to the associated PLC input terminal. Sketch it out and post back and i'll let you know if it's right.

Some PLCs only have sinking inputs, i.e. you have to apply 24V to the input, and the common is internally tied to 0V. In this case I normally use a pull up resistor which is connected to +24V on one end, and the NPN sensor terminal AND the input on the other end. that does require you to invert the logic in the code, as when the sensor is OFF then the input sees 24V, i.e. on.

http://web.encoder.com/Portals/146177/images/Pull Up Circuit.JPG

But you dont need to do that, because yours can work both ways.

Hi Benita,

Have a look at the manual in the first link provided by osmanmom, page 46 (PDF page 54), there's an example there (as always... read the manual first!). basically your inputs can be made to be either sinking or sourcing just by changing the common voltage applied to the COM terminals. When the common voltage is 0V, applying 24V will turn the input on. When the common voltage is 24V, tying the input to 0V will turn the input on.

This second option (24V applied to COM terminals) is what you want to. then you connect the emitter leg of your sensor to 0V, and the collector leg to the associated PLC input terminal. Sketch it out and post back and i'll let you know if it's right.

Some PLCs only have sinking inputs, i.e. you have to apply 24V to the input, and the common is internally tied to 0V. In this case I normally use a pull up resistor which is connected to +24V on one end, and the NPN sensor terminal AND the input on the other end. that does require you to invert the logic in the code, as when the sensor is OFF then the input sees 24V, i.e. on.

http://web.encoder.com/Portals/146177/images/Pull Up Circuit.JPG

But you dont need to do that, because yours can work both ways.

Dear Saffa,

Please help me by provide a rough sketch. Much appreciated.

The sketch JRB had provided will work for you.

Mind you, this stuff is all very clear in the manual. If you hope to be successful in the automation world, then you need to learn. .. RTFM.

( Read The F$@#king Manual )

Good luck!

It Works!

Dear Saffa, JRB & Osmanmom,

It works..Appreciate your reply on this.
It realy works, thanks alot for the guidance.

Kind Regards,
Benita