PanelView has intermittent ethernet loss

MartyMaucher

My PanelView 400 stops talking to SLC5/05, and I just get the *****s on the PanelView. The PC/RSLinx always sees both of them fine. I can reboot the PanelView and it may work for a minute, then loses communication again.
I know it sounds like bad cabling, but I've tried and replaced cables and still have the problem. Anyone had this problem with a PanelView 400?
MM

RSView.PNG

Yes. I can ping the PanelView and the SLC when the *****s show up. Maybe it's not an ethernet loss(?) I can reboot the PanelView and it will work for about a minute then the ***** show up again without touching anything. The PanelView ~bios says 2013 if that's any help.

I once had a similar problem but it was with a PanelViewPlus and CompactLogix processor. Racking my brains trying to figure out what was going on after being called back to the customer site numerous times because of loss of communication. Similar problem, I would reset the PanelView by cycling power and it would be fine for a while. Sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes a shift, sometimes 2 days! I updated firmware in the PLC and PanelViewPlus, even changed the processor!

Turned out the plant maintenance guy, yes Bubba, was going in behind me and changing the network speed setting from Auto to 100MB. He did it on the original processor and then again when I downloaded my program to the new processor. The other devices on the network continued to work fine, only the PanelViewPlus was affected. Changed it back to Auto, told him not to touch it again, and never had a problem since.

Ok, thanks for the tip. I set the Panel View Ethernet settings to Auto - Unfortunately, still have the problem. The PV acts like it loses communication, but can still ping it. It may work for an hour or a day, then I have to reset the PV to get it to work again.

Very frustrating.....

Sorry I wasn't clear but it was the settings in the PLC processor I was referring to; make sure it is set to auto as well. I feel your pain, I fought our issue for weeks, having to travel an hour each way every time it happened.

PanelView 400 OK now

Fixed problem: Had PLC and PanelView on a IP address range that the network's DHCP server did not like. Moved to IP addresses that the DHCP server does not care about and no more ***** on the display. Seems like the display gets overly sensitive to DHCP server requests.

Thanks,
MM
:whistle: