Monitor over IP

nmurray

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if its possible to monitor bits in a PLC over a LAN using a web browser.
I've figured out how to do it in excel, but you have to have RSlinx (not lite) and I'd rather make it something that can be done over the LAN so it can be accessed by multiple PC's in the plant (not just the few PC's without RSlinx lite).

So, depends on how many and what level of sophistication you want.

I'll talk to AB stuff, since you mentioned rsLinx

For example, You could use the free OPC-UA server for the ethernet based Allen Bradley systems(Control/CompactLogix, Slc 5/05, Micro 1100/1400) from Inductive Automation. This would let you browse down into the PLCs and subscribe to some points to look at them.
Not pretty, but free!

You could also use a HMI/SCADA package to access them through an OPC server(Mark pointed out his product which would do this)

You could use an OPC-SQL product to push the data up into SQL and use any number of reporting tools against that.

Lots of options really.

Hello,

>You could also use a HMI/SCADA package to access them through an OPC server(Mark pointed out his product which would do this)

PeakHMI has native drivers and does not use OPC/RSLinx or any third party driver to access the PLC.

PeakHMI does have a built in OPC data server and OPC data client if you need to use them.

Also, a built-in web server so you can monitor, from the other stations, via a browser.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies.
I'm mainly looking for something like much of you stated can get the info onto a server or something similar then that info can be accessed by anyone.

I do like the idea of the free software, then I don't have to go through all the purchasing and approvals and that nonsense.

I was hoping there was a way I could just write a web page and it would pull info from the PLC without any other software.

I'll try the free program you mentioned, PeakHMI does sound nice, but like I said the purchasing part I don't want to have to deal with, maybe if everyone likes what I'm doing because it does sound like exactly what I want.