OT: Exporting to Germany?

I've been tasked to quote a small control panel to be used in Germany. The design is pretty much proven. The machine is a test fixture. The only moving part is a single small pneumatic cylinder. Other valves just blow compressed air. Worst hazard possible is a minor injury to a finger, and it doesn't continuously operate. So for that reason the original design has no E-Stop (You wouldn't be quick enough to stop it before it would stop on it's own. I don't know if that's right or wrong, but that's how it is). It uses 120VAC in and the PLC and pneumatic valves use 120VAC as well.

Here are my questions.

First, I will make everything 24VDC, including the valves and PLC. I believe a standard 1606XLE power supply will take the German 220V/50HZ line voltage, correct?

Second, do I need to add a through-the-door disconnect if I have a power cord attached to it? Right now the panel plugs into a standard outlet and currently my plan is to find a German plug and do the same.

Third, My current drawing set is NEMA/ANSI style like we typically use here in the US. Do the drawings have to be done to IEC standards in imported machines?

Fourth, what other kinds of certification/documentation am I going to have to worry about?

I can answer your first question based on personal experience. I've used an 1606-XLS. It works just fine on European 220V/50Hz. Double check your exact model because looking at the cut sheet curiously there appears to be a couple of models of the 1606-XLE that won't handle 220V, however, most do.

I'm not familiar enough with the second and third questions to answer definitively. Although based on personal experience, it would be best to have the drawings follow IEC standards for documentation. I do believe that the documentation has to be in the 'local' language when used in Europe, meaning it would have to be German in this case.

As to the fourth question, don't forget about RoHS. The big three directives you will likely need to concern yourself with are the Machinery Directive, Low Voltage Directive, and EMC Directive.

Hi,

From a previous post...

1. The frequency definitely will be 50Hz if derived from the national supply
2. The harmonised European voltage for 3 phase is 400V (+/- 10%)
3. Single phase, harmonised voltage is 230V (+/- 6%)

Not life and death, but worth noting these are the current (harmonised) European voltages.

Regards,

Rob

Yes you may use a german(european) plug, however simpler to use a connector same style as on a computer power supply, with a schaffner filter inside.
as long as power is below 16 Amps this is enough.
Drawings are no isue as you may present them with all types of drawing, however you have to give the importer (if used) a complete set of manuals etc to conform the EC directive, and for this you have to comply the machine directive , the electric directive, just like in USA.
An Estop is needed where there is any danger, that could be stopped with this stop (the machine directive says that you must shield any moving parts, not only the dangerous ones.
You have to make a risk assesment.

Yes you may use a german(european) plug, however simpler to use a connector same style as on a computer power supply, with a schaffner filter inside.
as long as power is below 16 Amps this is enough.
Drawings are no isue as you may present them with all types of drawing, however you have to give the importer (if used) a complete set of manuals etc to conform the EC directive, and for this you have to comply the machine directive , the electric directive, just like in USA.
An Estop is needed where there is any danger, that could be stopped with this stop (the machine directive says that you must shield any moving parts, not only the dangerous ones.
You have to make a risk assesment.

Thanks for the information. The moving part can be guarded, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm not thinking an E-Stop is needed because the movement of this machine happens so fast, by the time you could reach the E-Stop it would have already stopped. I think it would be worth it to have a risk assessment done though. Even if we don't have to change our design, it'd be nice to have something official saying we don't have to.

In EC directive there is no official that says if safety is enough, you have to conform the directives and make a CE document yourself.
You can have it tested by the TUV (like the UL) but for this it is way to expensive, and not needed, just do a risk assesment and put it on paper.