Using RsLinx to connect to a MicroLogix 1200

mattbdb

I know I just posted a message about this but I need help fast if possible. I am using an rs-232 to connect to the micrologix. I set it up in Linx. I have the device correct (SLC-CHO/Micro/Panelview). I click on autoconfig and it gives me the error "unable to verify settings due to packet timeout! Check all cables and configuration and try again. Does anyone know what his error means or anyone know how to properly connect to a micrologix 1200. Thanks.

I have a few suggestions for you.

1. Make sure power to the PLC is on.

2. Check your com port setting. It is to the left of where you selected the plc type in RSLinx. Make sure it desplays the port you are using.

3. Make sure you are using the right cable. I'm not sure what the cable # is, but you can find it at the AB website.

4. Try the other rs-232 port. I think MicroLogix 1200s have two on board ports, one on the front of the unit and one on the left side. Some one may have adjusted the settings on the one you are trying to use (to connect HMI or other device).

Let me know if none of this helps. I may have some more suggestions.

Is that channel on the PLC configured to for RS-232?

Are there other drivers running?

I used an RS-232 cable, but used a PIC driver. It ended up working but I don't know why. Is that PLC configured that way? I just don't understand how an RS-232 cable can be used with a PIC driver on Linx. Anyone have any ideas?

The MicroLogix port comes as DF1 by default but can be set to DH485. Remember that DH485 is a protocol, not an electrical standard. Picking the PIC actually selects the DH485 protocol in RSLinx. It's not a promise that there is actually a PIC box out there to convert from RS232 to RS485.

The other way to findout which protocol the Micrologix is configured is by looking at the LED's status. If the protocol is DH485 then the COMM LED will Blink at a slow rate if it is configured for a DF1 protocol the COMM LED will blink fast when it is communicating to other devices like HMI.

I have a problem with micrologix 1200, during the first download of project into micrologix 1200 download failed communication problem appeared and micrologix went into fault mode, fault light is blinking. I tried restart, remove the memory module, and restart with or without memory etc... but the problem remains and PLC is not visible by RS Linx any more. DCOMM also didnt help.. I cannot see in RSLinx any more PLC.