Slc500 1747-l552c 5/05

RWA

I have a SLC processor communicating over ethernet and was wondering if it is possible to add a PLC 5 to the network using DH+/DH-485 through chanel 0 on the slc processor card? Thanks for anyone that can help.

Ron

If you want the SLC5/05 and your PLC5 on the same Ethernet network you might want to consider using a 1761-NET-ENI to connect the PLC5's serial port the the Ethernet network.

Hi Ron,

Depending on the PLC5 you have... if it has a serial port then Mickey may have the best option, if not (only DH) then the only way I know how is by using a DH+ to Ethernet bridge, this runs about 2K USD, can you change out the PLC5 to a Ethernet PLC5 ? not sure what would be cheaper, if its a L20 the you can find them for about 1500, a L40e/e is around 2k also (used)

I think you are asking for using it as a pass through and I just dont think you can

Best regards
Mark

If you want the SLC5/05 and your PLC5 on the same Ethernet network you might want to consider using a 1761-NET-ENI to connect the PLC5's serial port the the Ethernet network.

As Mickey suggested or if the slot directly to the right of the processor is not used, a 1785-ENET (PLC5 Ethernet side card) would also be an option. This would then be communication port channel 3A.

You can, in theory, "Pass through" the SLC-5/05 Ethernet port to the SLC-5/05 serial port and then through to the PLC-5 serial port.

The only serial protocol that will work for that connection is DF1 Full Duplex.

Ethernet/DF1 passthrough is a little tricky to set up in the SLC-5/05; you need to enter the IP address of your computer in a host list using RSLogix 500.

Because the SLC has a single-threaded processor and no separate communications processor, it has to forward every single packet from Channel 1 to Channel 0 during its housekeeping cycle. This connection will be slow if the SLC is loaded down with ordinary automation tasks.

You will get far better results with a dedicated Ethernet/Serial interface, an Ethernet sidecar, or an Ethernet/DH+ bridge.

Just communicate using DF-1 over the serial ports. Buy a couple of cheap terminal servers to use existing Ethernet lines. A single MSG instruction for each comm (1 read/1 write) will do the trick.