RSlogix 500 Test

nixtootec

Hello all.. I am kinda new to all this and just started working with RSlogix 500 for a Micrologix 1200 we are working with. I can't seem to find out what are the procedures to go through in order to just test the program I wrote out. How do you go into test mode so that it simulates the process but does not actually hit the outputs?

You will have to write your own code that will assist troubleshoting.
One simple way is to block parts of program so you can focus on
smaller and more managable piece of code.
To do so, put some contacts in front of JSRs for example.
Start programming by creating alarms. For sequencers, create step-by-step mode.
For testing outputs, write code that will allow you to turn each output individually
while machine is manual mode. This is helpfull
when identifying I/Os and for maintenance.
I guess this should give you some ideas...

Go to help and type in test. Take a look at "test continuous"
and "test single scan dialog". I have never tried to use this but it says you can.

Panic mode has given one of the best practical solutions for you - trim down the executing code as he suggests (using enable bits for JSR's) to make it easier to debug.

------------------------------

Something to look for though: On many Logix processors (I haven't used the 1200 so don't know for sure on that one) there are "TEST" operation modes - some where you step through one line of code (look for "Test Single Step" in the help files), and others where you step through one scan of code (look for "Continuous Scan Test" in the help files).

Another option: If most of your code is working, the "Test" or "UnTest" edits can be useful for observing the effect of a new change without making it permanent. Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain that the MicroLogix 1200 does not have this functionality - I don't think any of the MicroLogix processors support on-line editing. You can get something like this functionality by using Panic mode's suggestion here too though - add an extra "enable logic" bit at the start of a rung. You can toggle this bit to "test" or "untest" any edits.

All that said - SAFETY FIRST! I don't know where you are in the debug of your code - don't run any test that you don't KNOW is safe.

Two methods for debugging without using the real-world I/O are to:

Purchase the RSEmulate 500 package and test. Critics will tell you (they have good reason) that it is fairly expensive, doesn't have all the functionality that you might want (like on-line editing), and has a somewhat clunky interface.

Write code so that the real world inputs and outputs are not used - use binary or integer files instead and watch it run. When you are happy with the execution, you can then map your inputs and outputs (ie: real world input triggers your "binary" or "integer" input / your "binary" or "integer" outputs trigger your real world outputs) to make the real process run.

Good luck,

Marc