Another VM ware question

irondesk40

hate to ask so many questions but have found that there are folks on here that know a whole lot more than do.
Is it possible to have the virtual machine setup so that it runs on a external usb drive.
In other words have one usb stick that only is used when you want to run allen Bradley, another only when you want to run siemens etc.
Thanks

Interesting idea. But I don't know. For speed you would want a USB 3.0 drive. And I would have to have a pretty god size. VMs tend to use a lot of drive space. You would need sowing like a 64 GB or larger size.

hate to ask so many questions but have found that there are folks on here that know a whole lot more than do.
Is it possible to have the virtual machine setup so that it runs on a external usb drive.
In other words have one usb stick that only is used when you want to run allen Bradley, another only when you want to run siemens etc.
Thanks

Yes, but performance may be poor. See link:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1620

Personally, I put mine on a 2nd hard drive, and performance is great.

My two pennies,
James

Yes

Iv found that SD cards seem to work better for me than a USB flash drive. I have all my VM's on SD cards to save space on my hard drive plus it a safe back up in case my PC hoses up on me.

Format the large USB as a NSTF drive and it will act exactly like a hard drive. I do this with a 64gb stick and it works wonders for me.

I agree that USB 2.0 isn't fast enough for this. I've tried it and the performance is poor.

USB 3.0 is probably up for the job, especially with a very fast drive or even an SSD.

I use a Dell Precision M4500 laptop, which has a removable hard drive caddy in the media bay where the DVD drive usually goes. Mine is occupied by a 500 GB hybrid flash/rotating hard drive on which all my Virtual Machines are stored.

its a no.and even theres a way,it will definetly wont satisfy you bcoz running it in a normal way really sucks(sorry).better to try making a partition on your unit.

Sure you can, I recommend USB 3.0 not 2.0, not as fast as on local HD but it works. The best scenario is on your local SSHD. The RAM is probably most important, I recommend 32G, 8 makes it bearable, 16 is better.

I bought a laptop hard drive and installed it in a special case that powers from USB but transfers data over my SATA port. I can use it with just the USB but the SATA port is just like having a second hard drive. It is large enough to store all my VMs on it. It works very well. All in about $120.

Thanks

An external drive over Esata or USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt will work but it's still not on Par with having a second drive.

Storing your VM's on a high speed flash card or High speed thumb drive is also an option. Choose a thumb drive that conforms to the Windows to Go spec and it will give you good performance.

External drives with Esata and power over Esata are getting hard to come by and many laptops don't have Esata ports.

Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 external SSD would be best.

I use this one https://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10599 in the 2 TB flavor.