Story time: Do what the chart says, and don't ask questions.

akreel

Many of you have experienced this before. Operators tend to get into a rut. If somebody posts a handy little cheat-sheet on how to operate a piece of equipment, the operators will follow it without ever wondering why.

I am currently working on an upgrade project at a local waste water plant (the OTHER one you people from Wisconsin are thinking of). While investigating a panel that I'd like to demolish, I found a signal converter: 4-20mA --> pulse. The pulse output is an input (plant flow) to a sampler (a solenoid-operated device that grabs a few mL of water and dumps it into a jug). On the sampler itself there is a manual mode and two automatic modes, time based or flow based.

There is a cheat-sheet on the sampler, explaining how many pulses to set the counter for at various levels of plant flow. I found this odd, because I thought a "flow based" sample should be based on a fixed number of pulses (X pulses per gallon). After looking closer at the chart, I found something even more interesting. For each doubling of plant flow, the pulse count was doubled. The chart converts flow pacing back to time based sampling!

Why would this be done? My best guess is, someone didn't like finding the gallon bucket overflowing and created a cheat-sheet to control the number of samples per day.

Look at it this way - at least that's a few gallons of raw sewage that the United Water won't dump into Lake Michigan!

I'm pretty sure that the state permit dictates whether the composite sample should be time based or flow paced. Maybe you can scoop the Milwaukee Journal on the next big story!

Tom Jenkins said:
Maybe you can scoop the Milwaukee Journal on the next big story!

Not if I want to be around to finish this job!

Besides, the Journal (and most of the public) doesn't really understand or care about this technical stuff. My girlfriend just rolls her eyes when I come home and tell her my detective stories.

AK