ftview mer restore issue

mike_dr

Im not sure what version was used but I cannot restore the mer file of ftview. I used 5,6,7(another pc) but not in 6.1. no apps open and using application manager, I select restore runtime application then select the mer file(tried putting in different locations), then input the name and press next. then I get the notepad error "system did not find file path not specified" and another popup "please check that there is sufficient disk space, that it is not open elsewhere, destination application does not exist already". the language is Japanese if that matters. apps are in VMware also.

Also tried the ver 4 process (run mer file then copy the ~mer file in temp folder then create new application and import med file) but the screens cannot be converted.

Restarting does not solve it. Does having a specific FTview patch affect it (if the dev pc has patch xx and I restore using another pc)? Can version 7 suppposedly restore a 6.1 mer file?

Thanks

EDIT: put in the steps

Last edited:
Can you give a little more detail on what steps you're taking and at what point the errors appear? I'm not completely clear on what you're doing :)

Hmm. Well yes, that's an odd one. The only KB article I can find says that you can't do it from a network drive. But you say you've tried saving the file in other locations, and besides, I've done it off a network drive. So I'm not sure.

You could try repairing your FTServices, not that I really think it'll help. Or else post the file and I'll see if I can extract it, that'll at least tell you if it's the file or your setup

my issue now is that rslinx enterprise does not install in the 64 bit window 7 machine. In ftview 5.1, rslinx has a yellow question mark icon and I cannot install later version of rslinx enterprise since it the ft service platform needs to be upgraded.

I cannot install 6.0 in 64 bit since installer says doesnt support 64 bit.

I tried ftview 6.1 and the accompanying rslinx enterprise 5.4 in 64 bit window but I go back to the original restore problem of "path not specified".

is there any solution to this?

Keep in mind that my tool's ability to detect that architecture that the MER was created on is flawed. It sometimes reports 64 bit when it was in fact crated on a 32 bit machine. I haven't spent the time yet to find a better way to more reliably determine 32/64 bit.

I use FTview version 7 on Windows 7 64 bit and can restore any vintage of files with no problems (well, I haven't had any problems yet!). I have RSLinx enterprise v5.6, and FT Services platform 2.6

If you have the install files available, try upgrading everything to there and see if you have any luck?