Allen Bradley 525 VFD – Out of Dock Programming help

Plastic

We have used many AB VFDs, once installed, and under 480vc power, are commissioned via appropriate Drive Software, and network connectivity.

There currently is a simple job on our floor, where the electrician handed me strictly the 525 Keypad control interface, and a USB cable.

What are some of the basic ways to use my computer to view, and modify the parameter set in the 525 VFD control device?

We have the newest version of Logix 5000, and Designer 5000. CCW would be an option, but would require a few (Corporate IT hoops) to jump through to download to my PC.

Other than the USB connection, do we need to put 24vdc on the control unit?
I will read all of the instruction from the Rockwell web-site tomorrow AM, just looking for some jump-start instructions.

Thank you

The 525 should have a internal Ethernet/IP port. Is the drive networked into your Plant's PLC network?

If so you can connect up your laptop to your network with RSL5K and add the drive to your Ethernet under I/O Configuration. Then you can do all the configuration with RSL5K. I wouldn't mess with CCW if you have RSL5K.

IF you need more info you may want to reply back with some details of how your process works and we should be able to help.

When the PF52x is "undocked" and you use the USB cable the only software that can get the data in and out of the drive is CCW, you have to upload a file from the drive and open it with CCW then save your changes and transfer it back into the PP52x.

You cannot do any online editing with the USB cable.

To do online editing the control module needs to be docked and you then use either the Ethernet port(if available) or the DSI port and use a 1203-USB.

Alan

If the drive is networked, the best way would be to use Logix Designer to open the PLC program communicating with the drive and editing the parameters from there. You can also use Connected Components Workbench I believe.

As alan_505 said, the USB is for upload/download of parameter files only, not editing individual parameters. It's actually kind of a useless feature IMO. It had great potential, but they really didn't do a whole lot with it.

Thankyou for the kick start

When the PF52x is "undocked" and you use the USB cable the only software that can get the data in and out of the drive is CCW, you have to upload a file from the drive and open it with CCW then save your changes and transfer it back into the PP52x.

You cannot do any online editing with the USB cable.

To do online editing the control module needs to be docked and you then use either the Ethernet port(if available) or the DSI port and use a 1203-USB.

Alan

Alan,

You gave me the exact information I was looking for. You indicated the simple functionality that I desired. Thank you.

But, no thank you to Rockwell.
This morning I attempted to download CCW 7.0, but was unable to because of the size of the download. All I wanted to do, was get a list of existing parameters from one VFD, modify 6 parameters, and download....
...but CCW is an all-encompassing juggernaut that caused the whole adventure to stall.

One size does not fit all.

It is actually easier to travel to work-site, put the drive under power, and chirp in the 5 parameters.

As an oldtimer in the VFD world, I thought I would never see the day when an experienced drive programmer via Fieldbus would be intimidated by programming through the keypad. Excuse me for giggling a bit. This is really funny.

Now, as to an experienced keypad programmer being intimidated by programming through Fieldbus, that I can relate to.

Must be older than I thought! Probably better stop giggling. This is SERIOUS!!

Hey Michigan Neighbor

As an oldtimer in the VFD world, I thought I would never see the day when an experienced drive programmer via Fieldbus would be intimidated by programming through the keypad. Excuse me for giggling a bit. This is really funny.

Now, as to an experienced keypad programmer being intimidated by programming through Fieldbus, that I can relate to.

Must be older than I thought! Probably better stop giggling. This is SERIOUS!!

Yes as an old timer with VFDs..
We have used single software that were right-sized for specific VFDs..
Drive Explorer
Drive Explorer Lite
Drive Executive
RS Logix products
RS Linx connectivity, (Drill in, and configure)
All of them worked, albeit paid for software, designed for the purpose.

Then comes the era by demand, "Free Software".
I was enticed by the convenience of not having to go to the site to do the job, by sucking up the parameters, modifying them, and downloading... You would think that CCW could still be free, but be segmented by purpose?

You can order the DVD for CCW, but who has time to wait for that?

Just curious... who has downloaded CCW V 7.00?
Was it seamless?

Yes as an old timer with VFDs..
We have used single software that were right-sized for specific VFDs..
Drive Explorer
Drive Explorer Lite
Drive Executive
RS Logix products
RS Linx connectivity, (Drill in, and configure)
All of them worked, albeit paid for software, designed for the purpose.

Then comes the era by demand, "Free Software".
I was enticed by the convenience of not having to go to the site to do the job, by sucking up the parameters, modifying them, and downloading... You would think that CCW could still be free, but be segmented by purpose?

You can order the DVD for CCW, but who has time to wait for that?

Just curious... who has downloaded CCW V 7.00?
Was it seamless?
It is seamless, but it is a big program and takes about 2 hours to download with a basic DSL connection. CCW programs all current VFDs, all soft starters (that program), the new programmable safety relays, the Micro800 PLCs and the Panelview Component HMIs, plus the download includes RSLinks. About 500MB+ (I only have 6.01 so far, 7.0 is likely larger). Loads pretty fast from a DVD, it's the download itself that takes so long.

For 5 parameters, I would have done it through the keypad...

This morning I attempted to download CCW 7.0, but was unable to because of the size of the download.

Be glad you were on a slow connection. If you had downloaded, and installed, CCW it would've eaten all your computers memory.

CCW is so bloated it makes microsoft products look svelte.