Siemens S7-315 and Red Lion Data Station Plus

r_mclinn

Hello all,
I am trying to setup a Red Lion Data Station Plus (DSPLE000) protocol converter to communicate between a Siemens S7 315-2PN/DP (6ES7 315-2FJ14-0AB0 profinet) and a Fanuc robot(Ethernet I/P). I have instructions on how to setup the Red Lion unit in Step 7, but I am using TIA portal v13. Has anyone used this unit with TIA portal? I have downloaded a GSD file for the Red Lion unit and imported it into TIA portal which requires the network to be setup as Profibus. Everything appears to compile correctly but I still have ugly red LED's flashing at me from the Siemens plc. I am fairly new with TIA portal so any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Robert

If the Red Lion unit came in as Profibus instead of Profinet, then either you installed the wrong file, or you looked in the wrong place in the catalog.

For Profinet, the file extension should be GSDML, not GSD. Its basically the same thing, just in an xml format. People commonly refer to a GSDML file as a GSD file, but they are technically two different things.

Thank you MK42, I downloaded the GSD file from Red Lion, it appears to be a generic file because it works with the G3 touchscreens the Data Station Plus and also their Modular Controller package. I looked at it and it is definitely a GSD format, but it is the only one Red Lion lists. There is a selection in the configuration software (Crimson 3) for a Siemens S7300/400 protocol but if I choose this option I cannot insert it into my project tree. The GSD file at least allows me to install it as a generic device. The rest of the system is profinet but I was hoping I could use profibus for this device. It will be the only device on the profibus network. Thank you for taking time to respond.