GE Versamax Micro

scushman32

We have a Ge Versamax Micro controller that controls the sequential shutdown of equipment. The laptop we have has Versapro software. There is a problem with the timing and tried to connect to the plc to view the program and couldnt. Port 1 is an RJ45 port and port 2 is a 15 pin serial port. The original programming was done from an older laptop and may not have done using versapro. What is needed to connect and upload the existing program from the PLC?

Both ports are serial. The RJ45 port is RS232. The 15-pin DSub is RS485. Pinouts for both ports are given in the manual GFK-1645 which you can find on the GEIP support site.
A laptop with a real serial port is your best bet. Failing that, I have had success with a USB/serial converter from Staples.
Be advised that without a copy of the original program, all you will get when you upload from that model will be the logic with addresses. There will be no rung explanation or other annotation.

If it was programmed with Logicmaster you will be able to upload with VersaPro. However, in order to achieve the "Logic Equal" state you will need to download the program you just uploaded. That action requires a leap of faith on your part since you will be overwriting what was previously in place.

You will need to be in the "Logic Equal" state to make any changes.

If you still have your VersaPro installation CD, it has Logicmaster on it. If your initial connection shows that it was not programmed with VerwsaPro, you may want to install Logicmaster and try connecting with it.

VersaPro is not the current GEIP programming software. The name of the current software is Proficy Machine Edition. If it was programmed using Machine Edition, neither Logicmaster nor VersaPro will be able to upload.

GFK-1645 is for the newer VeraMax Micro controllers. The one referenced in the OP with port 2 being 15 pin RS-485 is the older version called the Series 90 Micro. GFK-1065 found here: http://support.ge-ip.com/support/index?page=docchannel&id=S:DO881&actp=search

It likely was originally done with LM90 or VersaPro only the latest firmware released in 2007 is compatible with Proficy ME. You can find the firmware by searching for the part number of your unit here: http://support.ge-ip.com/support/in...odVer=&cat=FIRMWARE_UPGRADES_TYPES&perpage=25

The one referenced in the OP with port 2 being 15 pin RS-485 is the older version called the Series 90 Micro.
I beg to differ. The 23 and 28-point VersaMax Micro models have both a 15-pin DSub and RJ45 ports. The 14-point, 20-point, 40-point and 64-point VersaMax Micros don't have the 15-pin DSub port. On those models the second port is an option module which can be either serial, USB or Ethernet.
The Series 90 Micro had one or two 15-pin Dsub ports, depending on model, but never had a RJ45 port.

I beg to differ. The 23 and 28-point VersaMax Micro models have both a 15-pin DSub and RJ45 ports. The 14-point, 20-point, 40-point and 64-point VersaMax Micros don't have the 15-pin DSub port. On those models the second port is an option module which can be either serial, USB or Ethernet.
The Series 90 Micro had one or two 15-pin Dsub ports, depending on model, but never had a RJ45 port.
My apologies, you are correct.
I must stop believing my memory and start verifying. :)