Assignment Question

alfie1993

hello again

Your employer recently won a contract with a local company called Litfuse. You have been tasked to select and describe a type of programmable controller to suit the following application. You also need to state the benefits and limitations of your chosen PLC.

a. A PLC is required to provide sequential control for a fuse making assembly line. The system has an input power supply voltage of 24v dc, with 6 inputs and 4 outputs all are 24v dc.

what i have to do is is pick a programmable controller that is better than the one they have picked and i have to explain to them why its better than the one they have picked at the moment i have picked this one

http://industrial.omron.co.uk/en/pro...c/default.html

because it has more inputs and outputs but thats all i can see with it any chance you can help me thank you.

anyone help me on this question the only thing i see better using that programmable controller is that it has more inputs and outputs cant see anymore useful things to add onto my assignment apart from that.

I figure the teacher wants you to choose a PLC which has the ability to be programmed directly in a language fit for sequential control. I don't think more ins and/or outs will get you more points.

This kind of question is however something I would never ask, because any good programmer can do sequential control in ladder as well, most of the times (read: with most types of PLCs) even more efficiently.

Am I missing something ?, but I can't see it stated anywhere what PLC they have selected already and your link shows nothing relevant:

omron.jpg

Last edited:
would you be able to help me pick one for this question please?
No, I can't do your homework for you, I can only direct you in the right direction, which I already did.

Being a kind of teacher myself, I wouldn't like to betray my (indirect) colleague.

It sure wouldn't do you any good as well, because once you have finished your training you must be able to do this kind of task by yourself.

hello again

Your employer recently won a contract with a local company called Litfuse. You have been tasked to select and describe a type of programmable controller to suit the following application. You also need to state the benefits and limitations of your chosen PLC.

a. A PLC is required to provide sequential control for a fuse making assembly line. The system has an input power supply voltage of 24v dc, with 6 inputs and 4 outputs all are 24v dc.

what i have to do is is pick a programmable controller that is better than the one they have picked and i have to explain to them why its better than the one they have picked at the moment i have picked this one

http://industrial.omron.co.uk/en/pro...c/default.html

because it has more inputs and outputs but thats all i can see with it any chance you can help me thank you.

The members here on the forum are willing to help but you have to help us help you. Please note that you must post all the details. This would include the make and model of all the PLCs being considered. Forums are much like texting or Facebook. Unless you post the info and/or pictures no one will know what is going on or what you want to accomplish.

Do the work and submit your findings here before you send them to your teacher. We can help get you on the right track. We will gladly help you, but you must put in the effort.

We have all worked with individuals we would swear have had others do all their work for them. You might be our colleague, or even our boss some day. We want you to know what you are doing.

Some of the common vendors are: Siemens, Rockwell Automation, Omron, Modicon, Automation Direct. There are many others in addition to these. Look for Micro Programmable Controllers from one of them.

OG

Off the top of my head considerations for PLC choice in general:
*Availability (short term and long term)
*Company reputation (how big, well known, how long have they been making PLCs?)
*Reliability (sometimes hard to quantify for comparisons)
*Ease of implementation (quality of manuals, training, software)
*Interoperability with other systems (communication protocols)
*Expandability (will this process outgrow the platform over time?)
*Cost (last because it is the least important... The bean counters think this is most important and they are 99.999% wrong. The PLC is "free" compared to the value of the products it helps to produce during its expected life in almost all cases).

Last edited:
...with a local company called Litfuse. (Lighted Fuse in other words)

...to provide sequential control for a fuse making assembly line.
Do not miss the clues you have been given about the TYPE of plc that will be required (if located at the assembly line), at least here where a fuse is an igniter in military weapons, and is not to be handled with non-safety equipment.

In real life, I have seen many weapons-grade fuse-making assembly lines, and the PLCs and most of the elelctrical equipment had to be remotely located, including the electrical solenoids.

Last edited:
A PLC is required to provide sequential control for a fuse making assembly line. The system has an input power supply voltage of 24v dc, with 6 inputs and 4 outputs all are 24v dc. that is the plc they have picked i need to pick one and explain why is the one i picked better and reasons for it being better.