Rosemount 3051 Communications

SiriusMark

First off, Happy New Years. For those of you working like me, enjoy the doubletime, or whatever compensation you're getting. For those of you enjoying the time at home, I hope your enjoying your family. I'll be able to catch up in a few weeks, so no worries.

Now, onto my problem. I have a Rosemount 3051S. The orifice plate was changed on the unit a few days ago and now I need to change the settings to match. It isn't a setting that can be changed via an Emerson 375, so I've been given some software and a Hart Modem cable to use with my computer. The software is Emerson's Engineering Assistant. I can successfully load the software AND the driver for the Hart Modem Cable (its an is HRT USBex unit).

When I use the EA software in Windows 7, I get the following error message "The Engineering Assistant HART driver is being used by another application. Please stop the AMS Device Manager Server or other HART application and try searching again." I have no other HART applications loaded, nor do I have AMS installed.

So I tried loading the whole package up onto my XP virtual machine. On THAT, I get no error message, but the program never finds the transmitter device. I've tried both comm ports, set Device Address to All, tried it all with the HART Master Level set to both Secondary and Primary. No go. I know that the HART system is working because I CAN connect to that device with the 375, I just can't change the settings I need to change with it.

So, anyone have any ideas what could be interfering with the EA program in Windows 7, or why it refuses to see the transmitter with Windows XP?

I've never seen or used EA, but I've used HART.

1) Which Windows does that EA version say that it's compatible with?

2) I've encountered problems with Windows Virtual machines not seeing serial communication ports, for which I have no solution, but with regard to
> Hart Modem cable
> I've tried both comm ports
a USB HART modem must install on a virtual COM port. Device Manager will report which COM port it installs on. Does EA show the same COM port availability as the one the modem is shown on in Device Manager > ports?

3) >Set Device Address to All
I'd be included to not use that setting. Who knows what it does?

Make some other selection to get the software to address whatever HART address the 3051 is actually using.

Check the 375 to see which HART address it is using to talk to the 3051, chances are it's zero.

If the 3051 is not on a DCS or high end PLC with a HART enabled analog input, then it should remain at HART address zero and the software should be addressing HART address zero because that is the industry standard for point-to-point communications over HART.

4) If the 375 talks to the 3051 in these circumstances, then the loop has the minimum resistance needed for HART (230 ohms). If you pulled the transmitter, put it on the bench and powered it up with a 24Vdc power supply, you need to add a resistor in the loop to get HART to work.

5) HART should work with a primary and a secondary master, so either primary or secondary should work.

As far as I knew the Rosemont 3051 transmitters i dealt with were just differential pressure transmitters. so really you would just need to change your flow calculation on whatever is reading the current output to reflect the new office size. Now if it is just local flow reading then you would need to calculate the new flow rate range based off of the new orfice size and transmitter differential pressure range. As far as the software 8 am unfamiliar with those problems but I know the 475 does do some fun stuff the 375 doesnt

DwSoFt- The 3051S is a Multivariable model. I thought I had read in one piece of nomenclature that the 3095 had been discontinued, but don't quote me on that. Anyhow, the flow rate is being calculated inside the transmitter and I can even see the setting for orifice plate size on the 375, but it isn't accessible for changing. I have access to a 475, in another field. It would take a day of travel to get it, but that's about to be my next step if I don't figure something out this morning.

Mickey-That's the software I'm dealing with. The 3095 requires EA 5, the 3051S requires EA 6. I have EA 6.

Oh, and the disclaimer that comes with the software claims it is was designed for Windows XP but that the version I have comes with Windows 7 functionality. I'm currently downloading version 6.2 of the software, it may be that simple. I'm also trying to get the 475 yanked from where it is at and boated over here, that may take some time though.

Oh OK. The 3051 I dealt with was the 3051 D. I would recommend trying the 475. I'd have my own but they are just soo expensive. Lol. Good luck!

Just an update, in case anyone else ever has a similar problem:

I finally got it all working, but it was a strange fix. I did have to load the Emerson software and Hart modem software into an XP virtual machine. This is despite the fact that both sets of software claimed to be Windows 7 compatible. Then, as someone predicted, I had issues making the Hart Modem's virtual comm port work properly. What I basically ended up having to do was open up Emerson's software AND the Hart Modem test utility at the same time. I used the test utility to "ping" the transmitter every 20-30 seconds while using Emerson's EA software to do the job. It was ridiculous, but it worked.

I'm relatively certain that if I had an actual XP machine, none of that would have been an issue. Or, if I had had more time, I might have found a way to make it all work as advertised on Windows 7, but I needed to finish the job and move on to the next one, so I just did what it took. Fun times!

engineering assistant is a horrible piece of software. Maybe the worst ever to get setup and working.