RS Logix memory usage

mjggjm12

Hello All,
I've been asked by our R&D department to determine how many more recipes they can load into a machine. The recipe parmeters are stored in the plc and they are called up by a push button on the HMI activating a single bit. I know how much available memory is in the PLC and the HMI, but can anyone tell me how to estimate the amount of memory each set of recipe parameters will use and how much memory a button on the HMI addressed to a bool tag will use in the HMI? This is for a Flex-Logix PLC and a Panelview Plus 600 HMI.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:
Is your "recipe" of a User-Defined Data-Type (UDT) ?

If it is then the UDT size in bytes is displayed on the UDT definition dialog.

If it not a UDT then it must be array data, and extending those just adds the number of bytes to the already declared tag (all the "tag-overhead" is already there.

Just remember that the maximum size for any one tag is 2MB, the software will also warn you if it exceeds 1.5MB

You can also use an offline copy of the program to estimate the program and data memory usage on the Controller Properties page.

Simply increase your recipe storage and see the effects on the estimated data-memory usage.

You can also use an offline copy of the program to estimate the program and data memory usage on the Controller Properties page.

Simply increase your recipe storage and see the effects on the estimated data-memory usage.
Thank you for the replies. I did this for the PLC and it worked nicely. As for the Panelview using factory view studio ME, is there a way to estimate offline how much memory is used or do I have to make the changes to the HMI and then see how much memory it used? Thanks

Thank you for the replies. I did this for the PLC and it worked nicely. As for the Panelview using factory view studio ME, is there a way to estimate offline how much memory is used or do I have to make the changes to the HMI and then see how much memory it used? Thanks

That's about it, there's no memory usage estimate in FactoryTalk View Studio ME