S5 know-how protection?

JogiJ

Hello together,

i have a problem with converting a step 5 programm to step 7.
In two FBs there is code like this:

SPA m001; (jump)
BE (end)

As i know at the moment i think this is some kind of know-how-protection.
So i have tried to change BE to NOP 0. But after that, of course, i see the jump destination, but no further code.
Has anybody an idea how to unlock the code so that i can convert it?

Thanks for your Help!
Johannes

Hello together,

SPA m001; (jump)
BE (end)

So i have tried to change BE to NOP 0. But after that, of course, i see the jump destination, but no further code.

Thanks for your Help!
Johannes

I recall in the '90s being shown how to do this. You need a utility program ( DOS based back then ) that can manipulate files at the byte level.
the FB to protect was navigated to in the *.s5d file and the first instruction in the FB after the header info was changed to a special jump in hex code.
to expose the code, this jump was changed back to a NOP in hex code
Sorry I can't recall the details, but that is how I know it was done.

Hello together,

SPA m001; (jump)
BE (end)

Thanks for your Help!
Johannes

Hi and welcome to the forum!

What is the name of those FBs? It might be some system blocks that already exists for S7, and then the conversion effort would be wasted.

Kalle