RSLogix 5000 cannot continue

Lunu

So, yesterday I was RSLogix 5000 v20 displayed me a message where it would say some fatal error happened. I uninstalled it, now I'm trying install version 19.01.01 but when I run the setup, it displays me this message:

"RSLogix 5000 cannot continue. To assist in diagnosing the issue, Setup has generated the following log files (please note paths and filenames, as technical support will ask that you email them the files):

C:\\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Rockwell\Install Logs\Rockwell Automation Software Setup - 02172015110932"

How can I solve it?

Try installing v20 first, then 19.
If you are using the full install from the disks, have it install everything in whatever order it decides is appropriate.
If that doesn't work, do a clean 19 install in a VM.

Once Rockwell software goes kaboom, the only way I've ever been secure with a reinstallation is to format the disk, start over with a clean OS install, then pollute the system with Rockwell.

If you do that, save a restore point EVERY time you install anything.

"Try installing v20 first, then 19."

It will not let you do that...It will say that a newer version has been installed...

Is version 20 and all its bits fully uninstalled and rebooted?
What other versions do you have installed and need?

what does the log file say? maybe there are clues within that?

You can always install older version of RSLogix 5k, AFAIK. These are not like version of the same software but rather support for firmware revisions. I done it before.

Unless there's something special with V20 and V19 that I'm not aware of.

Also, if you are on Win7 SP1, always run install file with the right click-run as admin even if you are already logged in as an admin.

When Allen-Bradley released the version 21 firmware it became backwards incompatible with other releases. So their newest PLCs require a new version of RSlogix 5000 (now called Studio 5000).

However, prior to the version 21 release you could add as many firmware types as you wanted ranging from (I think) version 13 - version 20 firmware releases.

So reinstall RSlogix 5000 using the most recent version installation CD you have and look for the firmware options during the install process. Depending on the license you purchased you may be able to install the version 19 firmware from the same installation disk. Otherwise you can install the version 19 firmware from the older installation media after you get RSLogix installed.

I do have a question though, what did the log file it told you about have to say?

Also do you actually need the version 19 firmware, or was that just what was on the CD you were trying to use?

V20 and 19 are the ones they have in here. Although they have earlier versions in the ENU folder. And I installed them too. It wouldn't work, though, a message about fatal errors would pop out (http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=93338). I was able to succesfully install version 19 in a virtual machine with windows XP. But there are some problemes with that: firstable, I was told that the Controllogix I'm using (1756-pa75/b) is version 17 (which I'm still not 100% sure), and the rslogix I installed in the virtual machine supports version 19 only. Secondly, within the virtual machine, rslinx is not able to detect the ethernet module (1756-enbt/a. And yes, I'm using ethernet communication).

I tried to reinstall rslogix 5k in my computer, but it would say windows vista needs service pack 1 or greater. I use windows 7 and it has service pack 1 already installed.

I can't upload the .log files

Last edited:
If your controllogix PLC is version 17, you'll need to either install the version 17 firmware or use the upgrade utility and connect to the USB port on the front of the PLC CPU module and update it to version 20 or 19. (which is always an intimidating thing to do to a PLC already out on the production floor)

I think (hope) the .log file is just a text file, double click it and tell windows to open it with notepad and you should see the contents.

It's really odd that it's asking for Vista, I use RSLogix with Windows 7... but maybe I'm using a newer version?

Well, I kinda solved it. I ended up installing it in a virtual machine. The firmware version was actually v20, I installed rslogix 5k v19 so I had to downgrade the controllogix version. Still, I would like to read your opinions and/or solutions to this case.

Abishur, I know .log files can be opened with notepad. I wanted to share it with you guys, but it wouldn't let me. Besides, I don't really know how to interpret it.

... I know .log files can be opened with notepad. I wanted to share it with you guys, but it wouldn't let me...

To post any type of file, right click on it (or the whole folder) and select Send To > Compressed (zipped) Folder. Then it will put it in a .ZIP file that can be uploaded & emailed.

I frequently have to do this because DirectLogic saves the projects in a group of files but one of them is *.ini which cannot be emailed for safety reasons (thinking it's a Windows configuration settings file). Also have had a problem uploading & emailing .exe files.

I know I successfully have the following versions installed on Win 7 64 bit:
V13, V15, V16, V17, V18, V19, V20, and V21. Just letting the installer CD do it's thing.