Ethernet connection for SLC 5/05

Mporter4

I have an old slc 5/05 I am trying to setup on ethernet and I cannot see it in links...
I have the following equipment:
PC = windows XP
Slc - 1747-L551
Using crossover cable

Network conf on PC=Internet protocol (top/ip)
IP address-192.168.2.5 sub= 255.255.255.0

Configured driver in links=AB-ETH-1

Host blank

Plc connects DF1 and I addressed ch-1 to ethernet and ip = 192.168.0.44
Sub= 255.255.255.0

Ethernet is fairly new to me so any help would be appreciated!!!

Also using Rs Linx 2.41.00

Last edited:
I should know more about IP addresses but am embarrassed to admit I don't. If you can try changing your PC address to 192.168.0.5
Also, not sure what you mean by Host blank.

The first three octets of the subnet mask (255.255.255) mean that the first three octets of the IP addresses must match exactly for one to see the other in a direct link.

Try 192.168.2.44 for the SLC 5/05, at least for the initial tests at communication between just the PC and the SLC.

If you were to write out the octets of the subnet mask as bytes represented as bits you would have

11111111 11111111 11111111 00000000

Every place there is a '1' in the subnet mask that relative bit position in both the PC and the PLC IPs must be the same (either both '0' or both '1' but the same). Only the relative positions of bits in the net mask that are '0' can be (and actually at least one must be) different in the two device IPs for communication to take place. And the values 255 and 0 in that last octet of the IPs are generally reserved so don't use them.

This is my own analogy for the net mask, and this explains, for me at least, the 'default gateway' also.

Let's say you live in a country where everyone lives in an apartment. If you write a letter to someone else the address would be 'state', 'city', 'apartment building address', 'apartment number'.

Now let's say you are writing a letter to someone else. You happen to notice that the 'state', 'city' and 'apartment building address' are the same as yours and only the apartment number is different. Well, you don't even bother with a stamp, you just walk to that apartment, knock on the door and hand them the letter.

BUT, if any of the 'state', 'city', or 'apartment building address' are different than yours then you put a stamp on it, take it to the local post office box and put it in. You don't really know HOW the post office resolves the differences and gets it to the right place. You just know that the post office box is the place for letters which aren't in your apartment building.

Guess what - the 'default gateway' is the location of the 'post office box'. 'Secondary gateway' is the next nearer 'post office box' in case there's something wrong with the first one.

I know this is simplistic. But to continue the analogy - a '0' in the 'apartment' refers to the apartment complex business office. '255' refers to a communal bulletin board where you post notes intended for everyone in your apartment building.

Oh and 'state' 'city' 'apartment building address' aren't meant to refer to the first three octets of the IP and net mask directly. The information in the first section of the net mask - IP can be partitioned in various ways. But these work for my analogy.

Last edited:
Wahlaaa

Thanks for the replies, so I made sure my 1st 3 segments on my PC and the plc matched.. I also found that "blank" host name need my IP address.... Yeah I feel pretty ignorant right about now!

I have gotten on-line with ethernet devices before but they were already configured... This is the first time out of the box for me!

Thanks for all the help!!!