plc and scada

prabhuthenath

keshav bhuvan,gokhale road,naupada,thane(w),400602
I'm a final year instrumentation engineering student.I'm doing a project in "WASTE IMMOBILIZATION PLANT".The main function of plant is to reduce the activity of radioactive materials which are by-products of nuclear reaction.My project is on development of SCADA for service monitoring.There are various parameters which have to be monitored, like temperature,pressure,level,density etc.We are supposed to develop a SCADA program/software which can monitor these parameters.eg status of boiler (on/off),level in the furnace.The status has to be shown on the computer via some communication channel like RS 432.How should I proceed about selection of various sensors.Some guidance is required about SCADA programming.If somebody can help it will be great.
Thanx in advance.

Finally! a Teacher with some imagination!

This sure beats the old Traffic light.

How should I proceed about selection of various sensors?
First you have to look at the thing that you are trying to sense.(temperature)
Then look at the big picture. (...how will this sensor react with my controls? Do I need reduncy here?)
Now look at the next thing you are trying to sense. (Boiler status)
Then look at the big picture.
Depending on the number of paramaters you need, your system will build itself.
Good Luck.
and be careful!

Oh yea at the top of the page click the
top_search.gif
button
and type in SCADA

gbradley said:
This sure beats the old Traffic light.

Maybe the instructor decided that traffic lights were too safe. Nuclear waste has much more potential for disaster.

When choosing sensors, you'll find about a dozen that claim to do the same thing, and they'll probably be from the same manufacturer! If you want to get an "A" grade on this project, talk with the tech-geeks at the "sensor company" about the various options.

Find out why some prox switches are ferrous, non-ferrous, or capacitive. What's the best application for each one? Why should you limit yourself to a 2mm prox when you can still detect the same thing with a 6mm? Photoeyes have a number of different modes, too. And what about Lasers vs. infrared beams?

The point of the project, I'm sure, is to show a little research.

AK