FX2N-20MR chinese semi-clon of a Mitsubishi PLC and SCADA

lwmar

Dear all,

I have a FX2N-20MR chinese semi-clon of a Mitsubishi PLC. It has only a serial DB9 port that cannot be removed or exchanged (which is possible in the Mitsubishi original PLC). I wonder if I can make a simple SCADA system using that port and just one computer.

I am reading this post: https://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/9653-fx-series-and-modbus/

And I am wondering how I can do what it is suggested there in the second message: to use a free FB block, available in GX IEC (but not in GX Developer), which will communicate modbus via a standard RS232 BD board. Later on it mentions a library called ModbSFX. That message is from 15 years ago so I am wondering if now there is some other way to do it, perhaps some other software has that functionality? I don't have GX IEC.

I am a student trying to make a project so I would like a cheap and simple solution. Any help to do so will be very welcome.

Thanks
Regards

Marcelo

In the past there were HMI and SCADA screens with driver for the FX programming port.

I even programmed my own driver but I no longer have any information about it.

It is not a standard protocol and Mitsubishi never published it, I and probably others got it using reverse engineering.

I don't know if you can get any reference of that protocol

Besides, I always worked with real FXs, I don't know if the same would be applicable to the clone.

The clone does not support the BD board, the on-board port will probably only communicate at 19600, Mitsubishi PLC has a default rate of 9600, however, Mitsubishi programming software is capable of requesting the PLC to change this up to 52kb (115kb on FX3U), the clones I have come across will not change, also, the clones I have seen you cannot change the PLC parameters so will not allow other important functions, basically, the clones have a limited instruction set almost complete but missing some important ones, even if the BD board could be used, you probably could not change to an open protocol.
I would imagine the programming protocol is the only one that would work, like has been mentioned, there is no data available on that protocol, well, not that I have found. Although the clones can be programmed with the Mitsubishi IDE's, the PLC only supports the general functions, even the analogues (for the ones that have it ) use the older RD3A instruction that is not used on the FX2/3 Range.

... Mitsubishi programming software is capable of requesting the PLC to change this up to 52kb (115kb on FX3U) ...

I tried to find out how the Mitsubishi software was able to communicate at a higher speed and it does it according to this sequence:

- It first always connects at 9600 baud
- The software reads a pair of registers in the range D8xxx
- Based on the read values and using an algorithm that I never discovered the software calculates and writes two values to another pair of D8xxx registers
- From this point it can communicate at high speed

Ife, you are correct, I too tried but TBH, could not warrant the time to delve into it any further, Beijers HMI's were also able to do this, then again they re-badged them for Mitsubishi so probably had inside info. If you set the baud rate in Mitsubishi IDE it stays at that speed until a re-boot or power up, then defaults back to 9600, one of the clones I tried (supposedly an FX3U) was set at 19200 & could not be changed, even GX software would not change it, I suppose that the vast numbers of clones out there all have differences, whether this is a modified OS or just not got some of the features of the originals is anybody's guess.
One other I tried, could not change the latch range again this is because it did not support reading or writing to the PLC parameters.