Analyzer connection to ML100

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
[FONT=&quot]I need to connect a TOC analyzer digital output alarm to a PLC. I totally believe that it is intended for that. My confusion comes from reading the manual – of course. The manual has the picture and words shown in attachment manual.png. How I would normally connect an alarm switch is shown in N1.png. Does my normal method look right? [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]I know a transistor switch can have a very small current capacity (8.5mA), but I am also confused by the plus & minus signs in the manual. I would be connecting it opposite of that. In the manual, the +Voltage goes to the relay which then has its common sent to the COM on the analyzer. Since I will be using an external voltage, it will be different but I wonder if I will be connecting it backwards. [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Is a PLC input just an open collector with the drain connected to PLC COM? [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]I looked up the current requirements for the Micrologix digital inputs and found.[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]On-State Current for the 1763-L16BWA:[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]minimum 2.5mA at 14V dc (for inputs 0 – 3)[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]nominal 7.3 mA at 24V dc[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]maximum 12.0 mA at 30V dc[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]I also see that input impedance is 3100 ohms/input which equates to 7.7 mA at 24V[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]So I am confident that I can connect the output to the PLC, but not sure if I am doing it right.[/FONT]​

Manual.png N1.jpg

The manual shows a sinking output. Its connection from the 'outputs' to the 'solid state relay' shows how it should be used.

You should connect the + voltage of the power to the 'DC COM' terminal of the PLC. (I believe each group can be wired either way.) The 'OUT' from the unit would then connect I/x of group '0'. Note that, with the common of the group wired to + then all 4 inputs are required to be of the 'sinking' type.

Your 'N1' diagram is showing a type of 'sourcing' device hook-up.

The Micrologix DC inputs circuits are connected, on one side, to the common terminal of its group. But the circuits of a group can operate in either the 'sourcing' or 'sinking' mode.

Last edited: