"Cheap" current transducers

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm working on an automatic load-shedding program to be used with a generator. Basically, I'll be adding a controlling a set of contactors between a distribution panel fed through an automatic transfer switch (which is already in place) and the circuits each breaker feeds.

I already have a degree of load-shedding capability. For instance, when there is a call for the submersible water pump to run, I de-energize the coil for the electric DHW heater, refrigerator, freezer, the electric range and outside lights. I re-energize these items in sequence after the pump stops. This is easy to do, since the items I monitor have a fixed current draw.

However, for items that plug into a receptacle or for lighting, there is a variable current draw. I want to monitor each line with an analog current transducer and shed load to the above devices accordingly.

I found lots of transducers for $75-$90, but I was hoping to find a cheaper supply. I need about 20. 0-10V preffered, but 4-20mA is acceptable. 0-30A range. Accuracy isn't important - 5-10% bias is fine

Suggestions?

1st of all the Wago sensors are for both AC and DC.

2nd of all the savings is that they're Modbus so you only need a controller and don't have to pay for the I/O points or board space, just for the Modbus line. That's 30 transformers per RS-485 point.

Good Luck,

Yosi

Had a look on ebay and found these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLEX-CORE-C...660?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a912ba48c

Looks like the were originally supplied by an American company:
http://www.flex-core.com/index.htm

so you would hope that they have all the right certificates.

Otherwise if you want to take a chance and buy direct from China:
http://www.aliexpress.com/price/ac-current-transducer_price.html

I use Flex-Core. Well made and nice units with good delivery. Their analog meters are good too.

Carlo Gavazzi E82-20 for 5 to 50 A / 4-20 mA resolution. For lower currents, just loop the motor wire through the hole multiple times to increase the sensitivity accordingly.