Hsce rollover

roxusa

Lifetime Supporting Member
I copied this from a 2011 post
I have tried it and can not get to work
I dont see how to set up an HSCE to count to 32767 then -32767 then rollover to 0
rollover is only in ring mode 32767-0 as far as I can see
I am trying to get position from a 100 ppr encoder on a cylinder that is 51" in diameter and gives 49900 pulses per rotation with the 100 ppr on the back of the motor.
I could do it with a ppr encoder of less than 50 but would like to use what is on each on now

here is the earlier post
"Okay, actually, a float might work here, but you need to handle the counter differently.

First, let the counter just count, make sure it is bidirectional, and leave the rollover at default (32767 IIRC). That way, it will go from 0 to 32767, then to -32768 and back to 0 (going forward).

Now, put in a rung, that is scanned every scan, and what you want is like in the picture.

N9:0 is the raw value in from the HSCE module
N9:1 is the last scan raw value
N9:2 is the difference between scans

F8:0 is the total accumulated count
F8:1 is your actual current position in inches
F8:2 is the counts to inches calibration.

Note that if the platform supported it, a long integer (4 byte) would be better to use for F8:0, but you will not run out of mantissa bits in this application, so the float is okay.

Oh, while I'm at it, you can preset any particular position simply by writing the desired value to F8:0, or set home (zero) by clearing it."