RSLogix 5000 Studio ver. 26

jkerekes

I see that version 26 of RSLogix 5000 Studio is available to download. Does anyone know what's new about it? What happened to version 25?

I was told that v26 just adds new hardware support, no new features. It will be the same for v27 and v28. I heard 2 stories about v25. One was that it was an internal version and wasn't going to be released to the public and the other was that it was a customer specific release and wouldn't be for the general public

I'm not sure. When we got our product update they almost sounded apologetic for releasing 3 versions within a year's time frame. They told us that if you don't need the new hardware support then there is no real reason to upgrade to v26-28. They're releasing some new kinetix drives and the whole PV5000 product line in there somewhere.

New versions are for new products but also draws the line for support of older products.

My test bed is the old 1756-L60M03SE; support stopped at v17. I still use it but sometimes have to move back & forth between new versions matching the customer's spec.

Studio 5000 Version 26.01.00

jstolaruk said:
I see that version 26 of RSLogix 5000 Studio is available to download. Does anyone know what's new about it?...

John,

I think we're finding it hard to let go of the "RSLogix 5000" tagname? :p

dmroeder said:
I was told that v26 just adds new hardware support, no new features...

Dustin,

Version 26 adds one piece of hardware and one new feature.

Version 24 added quite a few new software features. Version 26, not so much.

In 24 hardware support was added for the Kinetix 5500 CIP-Safety drives. In 26 they have now added hardware support for the new Kinetix 5700 multi-axis servo system...

Kinetix 5700 Servo Drive System

Studio 5000 Logix Designer Version 26.01

This release supports the new Kinetix 5700 multi-axis servo system. The Kinetix 5700 is designed for machines with large axis counts with higher power requirements. The Kinetix 5700 servo system consists of Diode Front End (DFE) Bus Supplies, single axis servo modules, and dual axis servo modules. All servo modules come with both integrated and hardwired Safe Torque-Off.

Also added in Version 26 is the "License-Based Source Protection" software feature...

License-Based Source Protection

Studio 5000 Logix Designer Version 26.01

This release of the Logix Designer application supports Licensed-Based Source Protection. License-Based Source Protection controls permissions on the following license protected components: Use, View, Edit, Copy, Export, and Protect. Once you apply Source Protection, the protected components can be altered or viewed only by a user who has the license and permissions required for access. License privileges can be shared with other users on your network.

When a component is license protected, a CmStick containing the corresponding license must be plugged into a USB port on the computer to open the project containing the component.

License protection uses licenses that you create and administer through a license portal. You can access the CodeMeter® WebAdmin portal through the CodeMeter icon placed in your Windows taskbar after you install Logix Designer application.

This is handled by Wibu's CodeMeter...

Wibu-System CodeMeter installed with Logix Designer

The Wibu-System CodeMeter® suite of applications is installed with Logix Designer application to add resiliency to Logix Designer projects. CodeMeter is typically installed in the C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeMeter folder and the CodeMeter icon may appear on the desktop or in the Windows taskbar.

Important: Disabling the CodeMeter service or uninstalling the application disables Logix Designer application.

Refer to the Wibu-Systems website for specific information about CodeMeter.

And there is also an anomaly to watch for...

Performance issues using License Based Source Protection (x166293)

Anomaly

Studio 5000 Logix Designer v26

When using License Based Source Protection, Developers and Testers have noticed performance issues with the application at times with the default server configuration list in CodeMeter WebAdmin. If you are is not using any other products that utilize Wibu’ s CodeMeter that require CodeMeter to be configured in a different way, and you do not require license based source protection utilizing a license on the network, you can enter the following configuration to prevent searching the network for licenses and improve performance.

Open the CodeMeter WebAdmin window (http://localhost:22350).
Click the Configuration tab.
Add 127.0.0.1 (the localhost IP address) to the Server Search List.

If you have any version of Logix Designer installed, try opening the CodeMeter WebAdmin homepage with the above link. If it opens you have it. It's no harm to know about these new features that may be running in the background, especially if they have the potential to cause users some issues.

Attached is my configuration screen with the localhost server address added.

Regards,
George

CodeMeter.jpg

Yes, View 5000, or PanelView 5000, whichever buzzword you like, is on the way. When exactly is still a bit hazy? When Version 21 was released, they reported that View Designer would be added in Version 22 for free. It never happened, but I think this was down to delays in development. We're at Version 26 now, but still no sign. I'd imagine the software is ready and it's more to do with the hardware being finalized for launch. If we don't see anything this year, it will definitely be next year, from what I've been told.

Studio_V22_Release.jpg

Yes, View 5000, or PanelView 5000, whichever buzzword you like, is on the way. When exactly is still a bit hazy? When Version 21 was released, they reported that View Designer would be added in Version 22 for free. It never happened, but I think this was down to delays in development. We're at Version 26 now, but still no sign. I'd imagine the software is ready and it's more to do with the hardware being finalized for launch. If we don't see anything this year, it will definitely be next year, from what I've been told.

I heard good things about View Designer. Panelview Plus development is terrible. Makes me want to find whoever thought it was a good idea to program a touch screen with a SCADA development environment and...well...you know.

There is supposed to be a robust higher end industrial range (5500) and a cheaper plastic range aimed for the OEM market (5300). Sort of like the PanelView Component range.

What new features they might have I've not heard. But one thing I saw that I do not like the look of, and hope I am wrong on, is an advert in one of the many Studio 5000 slideshow PDFs out there. It appears to show what I think will be the cheaper plastic range and a screenshot of the software. From what I can see, it looks very much like DesignStation used for the PanelView Component terminals?

Now, I would hope that if that is the case, then you only use this "class" of software for those cheaper terminals and View Designer is something completely different. i.e. they have not based the new View Designer software on CCW and DesignStation. I can't see that happening, to be honest, but until I see otherwise, the seed has been sown...

PV5000.png