Looking to take the next step.

JScot

Hello, I'm a beginner at PLCs looking to develop my skills. I graduated from a nearby State University in 2009 with a B.S. in Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology, but due to the economy I was not able to find a job in my field. I've been working a warehouse job for the last 5 years, but was let go a few months ago when the company downsized.

I had one class in PLCs, so I know the basics, and have reviewed my old textbook (Introduction to Programmable Logic Controllers, 2nd Edition [Gary Dunning 2002] It's an old book, which covers the basics, but I'm looking to move on to the next step with something more current.

In my class we covered inputs, outputs latch, unlatch OSR, counters, timers, sequencers, math, boolean logic, comparison, and Fill Files. To be honest, I never got Fill Files. Still don't understand what they do or how to use them.

I'm planning on buying LogixPro 500 PLC Simulator from TheLearningPit, and working through the simulations, but I could use some more material about more advanced program design. What are some good books, or sources of online material for me to look at to get me to the next level?

You can download Allen Bradley's Logix 500 emulator for free. That will give you a virtual PLC to play with.

Beckhoff TwinCAT 3 offers a free trial license than can be installed multiple times. That will give a good 'modern' tool to play with.

You can download Allen Bradley's Logix 500 emulator for free. That will give you a virtual PLC to play with.

Beckhoff TwinCAT 3 offers a free trial license than can be installed multiple times. That will give a good 'modern' tool to play with.

I have the RSLogix 500 emulator downloaded, but haven't tried installing it yet.

I'll look into the other one.

The first thing you need to do is determine what the predominate Brand that is being used in your area, in the U.S. Allen Bradley seems to be the leader. If you want some good AB training and you can afford it (~$2500) then Ron Beaufort's training is excellent. He does offer discounts for veterans.

http://www.ronbeaufort.com/index.htm

P.S. He has some good videos on the site also that help fill in some knowledge gaps that the schools don't teach, or teach correctly.

I talked to Mr. Beaufort a while back, and he will probably tell you his class is not for you. He says that it is more geared to specific trouble shooting for techs in specific brands. He told me to talk to Rockwell and see if they offer any showcases or something.

I am looking into the same thing, my concern being I live in Allen Bradley land and I am an Siemens guy.

Check with your local Vo Tech, they can probably help you get started for a pretty low price. The one here is about $ 65 for the intro or advanced course.

I'm on the waiting list to get into the Mechatronics program at the Vo-Tech. It will be 4 to 8 months before I start, and to be honest, I'm hoping to have a job already by the time a space opens up for me. I've applied for a position as a maintenance technician at the Nissan plant. PLCs seem to be one of the main skills they are looking for.

It's a 24 month program, but I may be able use my B.S. to get out of some of the basic electrical classes, and finish in less time.

I just spent a couple of weeks commisioning some robot cells at the Nissan facility in Decherd, I thought they were a little strained for help that had a lot of plc knowledge. We did deal with maintenance techs who take care of the plcs, hmis, and robots. A little bit of a drive from Murfreesboro, but there were a few guys making the drive everyday. Most of them were electricians. I would think you could do better with the B.S. degree. Just my $.02.

Ps, they use Omron plc, hmi, servos and Fanuc robots.

Last edited:
I just spent a couple of weeks commisioning some robot cells at the Nissan facility in Decherd, I thought they were a little strained for help that had a lot of plc knowledge. We did deal with maintenance techs who take care of the plcs, hmis, and robots. A little bit of a drive from Murfreesboro, but there were a few guys making the drive everyday. Most of them were electricians. I would think you could do better with the B.S. degree. Just my $.02.

Ps, they use Omron plc, hmi, servos and Fanuc robots.

Here is a cut and paste of the job listing I applied to:

Position Title Maintenance Technician - Vehicle Plant
Function Manufacturing & Production Engineering
Site / Location of Position US - Smyrna, TN
Legal Entity Nissan North America, Manufacturing (NMC)
Posting Description
Nissan’s Smyrna, TN manufacturing plant is located approximately 20 miles southeast of Nashville, TN. The vehicle assembly plant is 5.9 million square feet and has an annual production capacity of 640,000 vehicles. Nissan-Smyrna produces the Nissan Altima, Maxima, Leaf, Rogue, Pathfinder, and Infiniti QX60.

Life at Nissan encompasses everything that inspires both the quality of our vehicles and the quality of our people. Company-wide, you'll find fast learners and self-starting engines as well as people who are quick to embrace change and take an idea into overdrive.

We are currently seeking dynamic individuals to fill openings for full-time, direct-hire Nissan Maintenance Technicians at our Smyrna, TN automotive manufacturing facility.

Maintenance Technicians are responsible for performing preventative and corrective maintenance on high-volume manufacturing production equipment.

Advantages of working for Nissan as a Maintenance Technician:

Nissan offers attractive rates based on experience starting at $24.50 per hour up to $30.34 per hour PLUS:

· Deferred compensation paid out twice per year
· Premium Pay for Shift Work
· Bonus potential
· Relocation where applicable

-14 paid holidays per year
-Paid Vacation
-Comprehensive Health Benefits including medical, dental, vision, hearing, prescription drug and life
-401(k) plan with company match
-Vehicle lease/purchase program
-Onsite pharmacy and credit union
-Onsite amenities: 75-acre park, fitness facility, golf driving range, tennis courts, and swimming pool

Position Requirements:

- Prefer 3-5 years of industrial maintenance experience OR 0-2 years of experience and a two year technical degree, industrial maintenance certification (or equivalent).

- Knowledge of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC’s). Ability to troubleshoot and modify/create programs is preferred.

- Robotics- ability to troubleshoot, teach paths and mechanical understanding
- Pneumatic/Hydraulic- ability to read schematics, understand fluid power concepts

- Electrical Maintenance- ability to read schematics, understand/troubleshoot motor control circuits, from low voltage to 480V, 3-phase

- Safety- Work in a safe manner at all times being aware of potential hazards in the area and safeguarding those hazards.

- High school diploma or equivalent required

You really think a 43 year old who graduated with a B.S. in Engineering Technology 5 years ago, and hasn't used it since can do better than $25/hr?

I've applied to probably 40 jobs in the 4 months that I've been unemployed, this is the first one that has even called me back. As far as I can tell, I passed the screening call. All the jobs I can find that are looking for someone with a degree also want a minimum of 3 years of experience.

If you have any ideas how I could go about getting something better, I'd love to hear all about it. I just don't want to wind up in another dead end job like the last one.

Here's the brochure for the program I graduated from:

http://www.mtsu.edu/et/docs/brochures/brochure-elec-mechan-09.pdf

Possibly but moving might be required. This area has a talent vacuum but I'm not sure I would want to relocate to here from your area either. Beautiful country just south of you.

I have done several jobs at a ConAgra plant in Newport TN. Also Humboldt TN. They are always looking for people and will usually pay for training.

All of the engineers I have work at home and in the field. Our office only has 3 people in it. You may be able to find something like that with a System Integrator, but it may require more experience and a lot of travel. You may want to look at an OEM. They always seem to be looking for field techs. It's a good way to get some experience in the field and trouble-shooting other peoples code.

A little off-topic, but you are one of numerous examples of qualified engineers in the U.S. who can't find a decent job. Meanwhile, the CEO's claim we must allow more visas for foreign engineers to meet a claimed shortage. An engineer here was laid off a year ago in the last round (layoffs continue) and has been searching everywhere (willing to move) and no offers. He sold his house to fund the B.S. in engineering, to better himself after decades as a technician. He believed the stories of a need for engineers.

I mostly use Beckhoff's TwinCAT, which is a more modern approach than many PLC's, and is growing. That might be a better fit for an engineer, since much PLC work in the U.S. is considered technician or electrician level. As mentioned, they have free tools to learn on your own.