sick clv630 to micrologix 1200

mike_dr

I have a sick scanner clv630 with CDM420(for ethernet interface) and would like to simply stop the machine if it reads a wrong barcode. in Clx, they defined the sick as eth module with input 101(200 bytes), output 100(200 bytes) then used BAR_CODE_SCANNER:I.Data[0] check if the barcode is good or bad. Is this possible with ML1200 using MSG with CIP generic? does anyone know how to get that bit?
quoting scuba n00b on the bit that i need is byte 0,bit 7 so i need N12:4/7 based on my MSG?

"byte 7 onwards, bit 7 in byte 0 is a good read, byte 3 is number of good reads and byte 6 is length of barcode read. Bit 2 in byte 1 is sensor 1 going high/low."
attached the sample clx found in old thread here http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=54273

msg.png

Attachments

• Erwin_sick_int_to_string_any_length.plc
    157.8 KB · Views: 11
more info on the bits and input data format(input assembly,clv-> plc, 200 byte found in CLV6xx Ethernet_IP_Function_Descrs.pdf

clv.jpg

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, friend, but your setup is not going to work as is. For one thing, the micrologix 1200 doesn't speak EthernetIP...did you mean a micrologix 1100 or 1400?
While the 1100 and 1400 variations are capable of CIP generic messaging, what they aren't capable of is Class 1 implicit connections (think produced/consumed or i/o connection in the CLX world). The CLV630 does not permit explicit messaging (Class 3).
There's a language barrier. Even though both devices technically speak the same language, the regional dialects, so to speak, are so drastically different that communication is impossible.

So if you have already committed to using the Sick scanner with a micrologix PLC (like I recently did with a SLC5/05), then you are going to have to buy a communications adaptor to bridge between the two devices. I imagine a red lion DSP or Graphite HMI could act as a protocol convertor. In my case, after contacting the engineers at SICK, I went with a ******* DeviceMaster UP-1P (CMF500). It is actually made to fit inside the CDM420 housing. It takes the Serial Host interface output from the scanner as an input, and then output over Ethernet IP back to your machine network. The devicemaster can be setup to write directly to a data table in your micrologix on a cyclic basis, or you can let the PLC message read and write to the adaptor, as I did.
Configuration is far from straightforward, and for the devicemaster documentation is not easy to come by. If you're interested, send me a pm and I will send you the documentation and sample code that I have. (All of the files are too large to post)
My application is doing exactly as yours, just checking each barcode against a recipe and shutting down for a mismatch.
The CLV630 is a very robust, very powerful scanner. They are a pleasure to use with the CLX platform. But integrating with an older platform PLC was surprisingly painful (and expensive!).

Edit: C*O*M*T*R*O*L is a banned word?!?

Last edited:
The setup you are referring to is for "implicit" messaging, something that you can't do with a Micrologix. What you need to set up is "explicit" messaging. Likely this can be done, but you'll need to get information from SICK on how to do this. The manual for the Ethernet interface module should have this information in it. I haven't used that module, but SICK is usually pretty good with their manuals. You can always call their tech support line, I generally get good help from their techs.

Hi bmc, you are correct, I mean ML 1400. if the messaging isnt allowed, then i can only resort to the external input and outputs for feedback. I will pm you.

thanks for the info JRoss

follw up q. can you configure what the good read (eg. good is only 12345678) via the pushbutton like you make the scanner read 12345678 then teachin?

cant you just run some serial between them? may be easier and more cost effective.

2.png

they have a checkbox"teach-in code content" "teach code ID" and code length which I think will get the barcode number

what i want is to make the taught barcode number in the teach in to be the condition for match1
61.png