Communicating with DH 485 PV600

Microbictomb

I have some old panelviews with just the 485 ports (no RS232). I have a 1747-PIC and a 1761-AIC to use. I am trying to connect to the panelviews with a PC but RSLinx fails the port configuration. I have verified the cables are correct.

Is it RSLinx version, as in should those modules be listed in the driver types list? (they are not, was trying the RS232 DF1).

I've tried the following configurations:
1761-AP00 from AIC(with ext. power) to PC and an AS03 cable from AIC to PV600.

1747-CP3 from AIC to PC and AS03 from AIC to PV600.

1747-C10 from 1747-PIC to PV600 and PIC to PC.

It always helps someone to help you if you post the complete catalog number of your PV.

Does your PC have a real serial port? If so you can use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ Driver in rslinx. If your PC does not have a real serial port then you will need
a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter)

See PDF's below for info on how to connect ( cables and hardware)

Do they have CF card slots? Using a memory card with the Panelview for application transfers is almost always less painful than all the permutations of drivers and communications that can hinder you.

It always helps someone to help you if you post the complete catalog number of your PV.

Does your PC have a real serial port? If so you can use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ Driver in rslinx. If your PC does not have a real serial port then you will need
a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter)

See PDF's below for info on how to connect ( cables and hardware)

2711-B6C2 is the panelview I'm working with. RSLinx doesn't show 1747-PIC/AIC as an available driver, that's more what I was leaning towards is that maybe that is my issue?

Do they have CF card slots? Using a memory card with the Panelview for application transfers is almost always less painful than all the permutations of drivers and communications that can hinder you.

I get that, the company wants the DH 485 ports tested though, unless there's a simpler way to do that I'm kind of stuck with trying to get this working unfortunately.

2711-B6C2 is the panelview I'm working with. RSLinx doesn't show 1747-PIC/AIC as an available driver, that's more what I was leaning towards is that maybe that is my issue?

What ver of RSLinx do you have?

You may want to upgrade your version. Your best bet is to get a 1747-UIC.

The PC I'm at now does not have RSLinx on it so I'm unable to check what version I have to see if it supports the PIC dirver. Again hopefully someone else will jump in.

It's that Pesky, Picky PIC again!

Microbictomb said:
I have some old panelviews with just the 485 ports (no RS232). I have a 1747-PIC and a 1761-AIC to use. I am trying to connect to the panelviews with a PC but RSLinx fails the port configuration. I have verified the cables are correct.

Is it RSLinx version, as in should those modules be listed in the driver types list? (they are not, was trying the RS232 DF1).

I've tried the following configurations:
1761-AP00 from AIC(with ext. power) to PC and an AS03 cable from AIC to PV600.

1747-CP3 from AIC to PC and AS03 from AIC to PV600.

1747-C10 from 1747-PIC to PV600 and PIC to PC

...2711-B6C2 is the panelview I'm working with. RSLinx doesn't show 1747-PIC/AIC as an available driver, that's more what I was leaning towards is that maybe that is my issue?...

...v2.59.02 (CPR 9 Service Release 5)

...Win 7 Pro 32 bit...

Right, off we go again and sorry for any repetition...

To connect to a DH-485 Protocol device, using a 1747-PIC interface converter, you must have a bone fide DB9 serial port on your computer and the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver available in RSLinx Classic. This driver is only compatible in Windows XP SP2 or older Operating Systems. The "RS-232 DF1 devices" driver will not work for the DH-485 1747-PIC interface converter.

If you are using RSLinx Classic in Windows 7, for instance, then the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver is not available as it is not supported. Officially, as of RSLinx Classic v2.51, the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver is no longer supported in any OS from Windows 2003 onwards. But that OS is not so well known, or used. So unofficially, the cut-off is referred to as Windows XP SP3.

This does not mean that any version above 2.51 does not support the driver, but just that they do not support it in the newer Operating Systems.

Example:

I have one session with RSLinx Classic v2.59.02 running under Windows 7 64-bit. The 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver is not available.

I have another session with RSLinx Classic v3.60.00 running under Windows XP SP2 and the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver is available.

----------------------------------------
Mickey said:
...There are issues with XP SP2...

Just a slight correction Mickey...

The Serial Enumerator (serenum.sys) hurdle kicks in at Windows XP SP3, not SP2. It's the SP2 file you use under SP3 to mitigate the problem. ;)
----------------------------------------

Of the connections you tried above - they are all valid methods. However, they all require the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver that you currently do not have available to you. You either need to run RSLinx Classic under an older OS, such as Windows XP SP2, or you need to get a 1747-UIC "USB to DH-485 Interface Converter".

If you do end up with a 1747-UIC. You would connect it to your DH-485 PanelView port with a 1747-C13 cable. It uses a "DH-485 UIC devices" driver in RSLinx v2.51 and later or regular "RS-232 DF1 devices" driver in earlier versions of RSLinx Classic.

As for the memory card transfer option?

Yes, this is possible, if you have a compatible ATA card lying around. If not, it's not so simple get one and configure it. Here's a retro-configuration for third party ATA cards for use with Standard PanelView terminals...

16264 - CONFIGURATION OF ATA MEMORY CARDS (2711-NM22, 2711-NM24, AND 2711-NM26) WITH PANELBUILDER RELEASE 2711-ND3 2
Access Level: TechConnect

If you've crossed that rickety bridge, then here is the procedure to perform the transfers...

44991 - 2711 PanelView Standard: Loading Application from/on a Memory Card
Access Level: TechConnect

Regardless of this thread and issue, I would recommend you get yourself a 1747-UIC. It is pretty much a standard prerequisite tool for any of us Rockwell/Allen Bradley sadists out there.

Regards,
George