Source for Electric Heater Coil

deanfran

I'm working on a project that calls for controlling the temperature in a small storage room. This will be a "warm" space, in the neighborhood of 35-40C. The control range is fairly tight, +/- 2.5C from set point, so I thought a basic temperature PID controller driving a heater coil (around 1500 watts) would work. I've found sources for space heaters, and bare coils, but haven't had any luck finding one sort of in between. Basically I'm looking for a ready built unit that has a bare coil built into some sort of enclosure that is wall mountable or some such. We could buy a bare heater, and build our own enclosure, and add a blower, etc, but I figured that there must be something out there that fits the bill. I figured the folks here have built everything under the sun at some point or another, so this would be the best place to ask.

Buy an off-the-shelf space heater, and set the temp control to max. Super glue or bypass if you're worried about tampering.
Control AC input with SSR and PID.

Thought about that, and we do have a 1500 Watt wall mount heater sitting in spare parts with a built in fan. It's even set up for an external thermostat. I would likely have to disable or have it run all the time, as the fan is pretty dinky, and definitely wouldn't hold up to a ton of on/off cycles. I'm not confident the heater coils in it would hold up to lots of duty cycles from PID control either. Maybe it would, but I think I would prefer to have something a bit more robust.

If your primary concern is to find something rugged enough, look into braking resistors for VFDs. I know some vendors offer them in protective enclosures for mounting outside of the cabinet containing the drive unit. Maybe some vendor also offers a fan-cooled model. They should be rugged enough to suit your needs given the duty they're designed for.

Dinky fan is not an issue. It should be big enough to keep the heater element from getting too hot, therefore, it has more output than needed.
Bearings is what determines life of a fan, any fan. Cheapest is oil impregnated bronze, expensive is dual ball bearings. In between, there is some long life designs I've used in the past that have a patented sealed system with extra oil. Seems to last the longest in dusty environments.
In this case, we need something that is rated for elevated temps.

Full thermal cycling from a cold start is what kills a heater, same as it does a light bulb. The heater elements in your dryer and furnace are a cheap as they can make them, and run for years. That's starting from room temp.

I assumed a fan running 24/7, and a heater running at about 50% - 70% duty cycle using PID and a solid state drive (SSR). PID isn't bad, it's perfect.
I would expect the cheapest heater in the world to run for years.

The fan is a different story.
Check out Sanyo Denki's new long life fans. Rated for 100K and 200K hours (10 and 20 years). 70C. Haven't tried one yet. 12, 24, and 48 DC only.