Master Safety Relay

Snap25

Lifetime Supporting Member
I received a panel today and after looking over it i noticed that the only output from the master safety relay was going to the digital input module on the PLC.

Maybe I don't fully understand safety relays yet but isn't the purpose to avoid contacts that could fail? If the E stop is engaged shouldn't the relay be wired to cut power to all the outputs instead of turning off a bit in the program?

Yep, you got it right. Having a safety Relay only feed a non-safe PLC isn't correct.

The safety Relay should be removing output power from the hazards. Also Drive enables/Safe-Off or load contactors if applicable to the application.

Vin

Are you sure that it is a Safety Relay? There are also Master Control Relays that were in use long before Saftey Relays were invented. Even if it is only a control relay, it still should cut power to the PLC outputs.

It's a safety relay but hes using it as a MCR but still not controlling the power to the output module?

I should use one of the channels (or the same wire he has going to the input) to control the power for the output module correct?

Cutting power to the PLC outputs would be a start. But you know that a safety evaluation should be done to determine which (if any) devices need to be cut off by a safety relay. It depends on the voltage, power, and access to the unsafe areas.

If the panel is always locked except for maintenance, then the safety relay may not be required (provided all maintenance personnel have the proper equipment and training). If everything in there is 24 volts, then it may not be required.

Last edited:
I hope it is OK to resurrect an old thread to ask my question about safety relays.

I have been digging through old threads on this forum and elsewhere online trying to understand how to use them properly and I feel that I am missing something. Please excuse me if my terminology is wrong but I will try to explain my application.

Say I have an e-stop circuit with 1 or more e-stops wired in series that activate a relay. I have heard a relay used in this manner called safety relay and master control relay interchangeably. I understand that a safety relay is not the same as a normal cube relay which should not be used in safety applications.

My understanding is that the point of using a safety relay for this application is because it is "failsafe", that is it monitors the condition of the contacts so that in case of a fault, such as contacts welding themselves shut, the relay will still open when it is supposed to.

So my question is: why would the output of such a relay be wired to energize the coil of another non-safety relay? I have worked on many panels where e.g. there is a safety relay energizing the coil of a motor contactor, but if the safety relay cuts out and the motor contactor has welded itself shut you'd still have power available to your motor. I have worked on panels from several different engineering companies that are built this way, and all the literature and wiring examples I am coming across online seem to indicate that this is acceptable, though I can't understand why.

If I have a panel controlling say 10 separate conveyor drives and I need to cut power to all of them in the event of an e-stop, should my 3 phase power to each of those drives be running through safety rated relay contacts?

I hope someone can enlighten me here. Also thanks to all of the professionals who post here, this forum is a great resource for newbies like myself.

See below..

I hope it is OK to resurrect an old thread to ask my question about safety relays.

I have been digging through old threads on this forum and elsewhere online trying to understand how to use them properly and I feel that I am missing something. Please excuse me if my terminology is wrong but I will try to explain my application.

Say I have an e-stop circuit with 1 or more e-stops wired in series that activate a relay. I have heard a relay used in this manner called safety relay and master control relay interchangeably. I understand that a safety relay is not the same as a normal cube relay which should not be used in safety applications.

My understanding is that the point of using a safety relay for this application is because it is "failsafe", that is it monitors the condition of the contacts so that in case of a fault, such as contacts welding themselves shut, the relay will still open when it is supposed to.

*** Correct - it not only monitors the output contacts through an auxiliary contact but also typically dual channels of the safety input device (sometimes with cross short circuit recognition).

So my question is: why would the output of such a relay be wired to energize the coil of another non-safety relay? I have worked on many panels where e.g. there is a safety relay energizing the coil of a motor contactor, but if the safety relay cuts out and the motor contactor has welded itself shut you'd still have power available to your motor. I have worked on panels from several different engineering companies that are built this way, and all the literature and wiring examples I am coming across online seem to indicate that this is acceptable, though I can't understand why.

*** The safety relay / controller output would typically be wired to redundant external safety relays or contactors with feedback to the safety relay. Generally everything in the system needs to be or should be redundant.

If I have a panel controlling say 10 separate conveyor drives and I need to cut power to all of them in the event of an e-stop, should my 3 phase power to each of those drives be running through safety rated relay contacts?

*** If new drive application, I would look into safe-torque-off models. They have safety inputs that can make this simplier. If it's an existing drive, you would many times use an immediate safety relay output (low current) to stop the drive (to help with the motor decel) and then a timed safety output (contactors, etc..) to remove drive power (or sometimes motor power)

I hope someone can enlighten me here. Also thanks to all of the professionals who post here, this forum is a great resource for newbies like myself.

Last edited:
As adisharr said, you would typically want to feed your motors with redundant contactors, that is 2 contactors in series, and then feed back auxiliary contacts into your safety controller. The idea is that if one set of contacts welds, not only should power be removed by the other set, but the safety controller should know that one contactor has failed so the system can't be restarted until the problem is fixed.

If you have 10 little motors, you could break them all with 2 big contactors and still feed individual control contactors from those.

+1 on the Safe Torque Off if you're using servos or vfd's. Solves a lot of problems.

One other point that needs to be made is that you should begin the design with a task based risk assesment to identify the level of safety needed ie. Plr

Based off this analysis, you can figure out the category and performance level needed to achieve functional safety. Sistema is a good tool to verify this.

Back to your question about MCR. I kind of use something similar on a project that has zoned safety areas. The MCR is tied to all the E-stops and has to be reset and energized before the other zones can be initiated.

Newer drives that have STO or better yet, CIP safety are a blessing. I have a panel on a rebuild that looks like the side of a fire truck because of all the red safety contactors.